Corydoras Pygmaeus Ok With Betta?

No problem, bubblej, I thought you might have misread.

I am not sure about the pygmies and nitrates. But as I said Cories are river fish and like good water conditons. And ime pygmies are even more sensitive. I hoped Ian would answer this, because I am just speculating.

A honey Gourami could live in a 7.5 or sparkling Gouramies--both of these are quite small top fish and are not aggressive. But again, being bubble nesters, like Betta, they like still waters. I also don't know their tank temp preferences. But unlike Betta, they are too small to be a danger.

A honey Gourami would be a quite attractive center piece with the pygmies. Need some research though. Ask Sylvia in the Gourami forum. The main issue with honeys is that they have been over bred and are often not strong.

Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.
I'm not too keen on the honey gouramis. I know this probably doesn't make sense to any, but they kind of remind of some sort of bug, like roaches. (odd I know).

I do like sparkling gouramis though, although they had some at my lfs the other week and their croaking was so loud. I imagine they would be a lot quieter at my house, where there would be less of them and there wouldn't be loads of people walking past and peering into their tank, but it still concerns me because my tank is in my bedroom and I am a light sleeper.

At the moment I am still thinking male endler's, preliminary research suggests they should be OK.
Since pygmy cories are so sensitive, once the tank is cycled, should I add the endler's first and then wait a couple of months before I add the cories? It seems like the sensible thing to do, but I am worried that some bacteria will die off with just the endler's as the bio-load would be smaller than the ammonia I add when (fishless) cycling. So there could be less bacteria after two months of endler's, than there would be straight after I finish cycling, if that makes sense.

There are actually two gouramis that are confused. The so called sparkling Gourami which is the Trichopsis pumilus and the croaking Gourami which is the Trichopsis vittata. They are often confused. I didn't notice that the sparkling Gourami were noisy.

To be honest it was hard to tell. They had croacking and sparkling gouramis in tanks next to each other so it was impossible to tell where all the noise was coming from. If the sparkling gouramis aren't so noisy that might be a consideration. Will find out some more about them.

Thanks for you help.

There are actually two gouramis that are confused. The so called sparkling Gourami which is the Trichopsis pumilus and the croaking Gourami which is the Trichopsis vittata. They are often confused. I didn't notice that the sparkling Gourami were noisy.

Trichopsis pumilus, the sparkling gourami croaks as well, but it really doesn't sound much like a croak, more like a rapid seris of clicks, if I remember correctly, mostly during courting and breeding. There is another species as well, Trichopsis shalleri, but that isn't much seen in the trade and it is very similar to T. pumilus. T. vittatus, if the picture I have is right has a black spot on its body right behind the gill on the same plane as the eye. T. pumilus and T. schalleri do not possess this spot and have more red and blue on the fins. It is assumed that T. schalleri "croaks" as well, and it is often considered just a sub species of T. vittatus, though I don't necessarily agree based on the pictures I've seen. If anything, to me, it looks like a sub species of T. pumilus.

llj

Most reactions

Back