Corrys Darting Around The Tank?

It's hard to see on the video, but when talking oxygen, it doesn't seem the surface of your tank is moving much. In a non-planted tank that's the only way to get oxygen into the tank. I would move the outlet of the filter so it makes some more surface movement.

It's hard to see on the video, but when talking oxygen, it doesn't seem the surface of your tank is moving much. In a non-planted tank that's the only way to get oxygen into the tank. I would move the outlet of the filter so it makes some more surface movement.

So lack of surface movement may be the cause of them hiding and such?

Lack of oxygen, yes, it will make them lethargic

Lack of oxygen, yes, it will make them lethargic

Thank you, I have a airpump that moves the water quite a lot the only thing I hate is the seal. IT'S ANNOYING, I'll bear with it then. Am not sure how air stones or whatever work anyway.

You need your filter to move the surface and make nice ripples all along it, not an air stone really.

You need your filter to move the surface and make nice ripples all along it, not an air stone really.

My filter does ripple the surface, Only the flow rate on it is slightly lower than other brands. It's a Eheim Pro.

My filter does ripple the surface, Only the flow rate on it is slightly lower than other brands. It's a Eheim Pro.

From the video it doesn't look it's enough though. A very slight ripple would be ok in a planted tank but unplanted needs more than a slight ripple, more like small waves. Or maybe the video just doesn't show the real movement.

From the video it doesn't look it's enough though. A very slight ripple would be ok in a planted tank but unplanted needs more than a slight ripple, more like small waves. Or maybe the video just doesn't show the real movement.

I can take a quick video of my flow when I get home, But my unplanted tank will not stay unplanted for very long.

To me, that looks really low, at least not until you've got at least 50% of your tank planted. I think you need to increase it for the time being as this will not provide enough oxygen for a tank this size. Then once you plant and plants start growing, you can decrease bit by bit over time to prevent the CO2 from gassing off fast, watching the fish of course.

Here is a video of mine I took a while back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY0BIcxn7rY

To me, that looks really low, at least not until you've got at least 50% of your tank planted. I think you need to increase it for the time being as this will not provide enough oxygen for a tank this size. Then once you plant and plants start growing, you can decrease bit by bit over time to prevent the CO2 from gassing off fast, watching the fish of course.

Here is a video of mine I took a while back:

Thats the best my filter can do sadly, any ideas?

If you are planting the tank, you need a better flow than that. If that's all your filter can do, maybe getting a second is not a bad idea. You should aim at a flow 10 times the tank volume an hour. Half of it could be filters, the other half powerheads for example. I've got a hydor koralia powerhead for more flow and it's a very good one.

Edit: Sorry, how big exactly is the tank volume wise and what's the exact model of the eheim?

If you are planting the tank, you need a better flow than that. If that's all your filter can do, maybe getting a second is not a bad idea. You should aim at a flow 10 times the tank volume an hour. Half of it could be filters, the other half powerheads for example. I've got a hydor koralia powerhead for more flow and it's a very good one.

Edit: Sorry, how big exactly is the tank volume wise and what's the exact model of the eheim?

Nano powerhead would work?

Am not sure the excact model as I just got the filter itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0oDO8ljkvk

Sameone in that video I think :S

It's a bit better but as you can see the flow doesn't reach the lenght of the tank. The powerheads are rated as the filters, it will tell you how many litres an hour it does. The koralia ones have multidirectional flow so it won't blow your fish away. Mine is 2800L/H, it's not the nano type, but it depends how much flow you want depending on the fish too, where you want to put it and you can even get two smaller ones rather than one bigger so you can have more flexibility.

Most reactions

Back