Coral Of The Week - Euphyllias

Here is my frogspawn corner....

IMGP7383.jpg

These guys dont seem to annoy each other when kept close but will damage any other neighbouring corals...

Thats the sort of thing i am looking to recreate in my tank - lovely :good:

It's interesting, E Bourneman contradicts himself re: the torch - in one place he says all euphyllias can sit next to each other and will not sting but then in another source he writes that torches sting other euphyllias apart from torches :crazy:

So not sure which it is? What is everyone's experience? I have a torch about four inches away from a frogspawn, haven't seen any sweeper tenticles at all

Seffie x

:fish:

my maiden head have a huge tank with frogspawn which is like two foot sqaure its huge

Seffie, if you look at the pic of my right Bommie, they are very close to touching.

The torch is touching the hammer, it has not stung it but is keeping it within its limits. I am huessing this will force the hammer to grow in a different direction.

The frogspawn and hammer are also about an inch apart, they have not stung each other either.

If it continues to work our OK, I will be moving the Trumpet and putting the other frogspawn over there too.

Looks really good aswell.

It will look great :good: Tina

When I had the nano my frogspawn and hammer were touching, in fact their tenticals used to weave in and out of each other - never saw a sweeper tentical and they never tried to strain away from each other :good: But this is my first torch so don't have that much experiance of them, all I know is that currently the torch is not producing sweepers to get at the frogspawn thank goodness

Seffie x

saw a lovely white and green hammer the other day when i went to buy a media bag from swallows - unfortunatly, it was at swallows, so it will not be coming home to my tank :crazy: they run their tanks at 1.015

seffie x

1.15 wow thats low think id try to get it any way dependant on price and try to save it

I personally keep my torch seperate, just in case.....have kept several hammers and spawns mixed with no problems in the past but several different sources state that torches can be the exception to the mixed euphyllia rule...I know mine has killed anything it's tentacles have came into contact with, including my favourite green ancora hammer..
This is only one experience, and as we know in this game, the corals dont read our books...so trial and error is the best teacher here.....many have mixed them without problems , whereas others have found it to be problematic.
My torch has been moved several times as it grows because of this, it's kill list inc: zoas, xenia, ancora hammer and has just taken out my flourescent caandy cane in just one night by simply brushing it's tentacles over a few heads.

I personally keep my torch seperate, just in case.....have kept several hammers and spawns mixed with no problems in the past but several different sources state that torches can be the exception to the mixed euphyllia rule...I know mine has killed anything it's tentacles have came into contact with, including my favourite green ancora hammer..
This is only one experience, and as we know in this game, the corals dont read our books...so trial and error is the best teacher here.....many have mixed them without problems , whereas others have found it to be problematic.
My torch has been moved several times as it grows because of this, it's kill list inc: zoas, xenia, ancora hammer and has just taken out my flourescent caandy cane in just one night by simply brushing it's tentacles over a few heads.

don't think I will be taking the chance, going to have to move the torch - will it try it on with Nems do you think?

Seffie x

Think torches will sting anything they come into contact with seffie so would be wary of this....could be a case of survival of the fittest there as both are more than happy to sting their neighbours

I am finding it really interesting to read peoples experiences on mixing Euphyllias together.

As Buddyboy says, corals do not read our books.

I would also be interested to know whether the colours make a difference.

My Torch that is touching the hammer is actually the same colour variety as the hammer.

What were the colours on your hammer and torch buddy??

Could it be that the zooxanthellae play a role in the immune reactions that cause the Euphyllias to sting ewach other. Chemoreceptors are involved if I am right, I am wondering whether the same colours have similar hitocompatibilty complexes.

Good point Tina and worth looking into....my ancora was green and the torch is a gold tipped brown...there may well be something in this !!!

Most reactions

Back