Compatibility Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agrophobic covers, being in wide open spaces! ;)
and also places with no visible exit......... ;)
Tight space fears more commonly known as claustrophobic. :nod:
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Phobia-Agoraphobia.htm

they are the experts not me...... :nod:

Yes, as it says 'fear of open spaces' - Agrophobia.
In contrast, fear of closed spaces - claustrophobia. Happy to help. :rolleyes:
"Many people think that agoraphobia means a fear of public places and open spaces. But this is just part of it. If you have agoraphobia you tend to have a number of fears of various places and situations. So, for example, you may have a fear of:.

•entering shops, crowds, and public places.
•travelling in trains, buses, or planes.
•being on a bridge.
•being in a lift.
•being in a cinema, restaurant, etc where there is no easy exit.
•being anywhere far from your home.
But they all stem from one underlying fear. That is, a fear of being in a place where help will not be available, or where you feel it may be difficult to escape to a safe place (usually to your home)."

thanks for your help...... ;)

Mattlee,

Thanks for the cut and paste job.

The high level analogy I made when I referenced agrophobia was a jest comparing agrophobia- fear of open spaces to claustrophobia - fear of small spaces. ....Generally.

The reason for that was that we were discussing small and large tanks.

My analogy was was in no way detailed because fish (and we are in a fish forum) in everyday life do not have problems with:

entering shops, crowds, and public places.
•being on a bridge.
•being in a lift.

:hyper:

My comment was a high level jest which I would have thought may have been seen as a bit of fun, as a close to a post.

As you are struggling with this humour I can only assume you are (and this is not to patronise you, just a guess at you demographic as another 'bit of fun')

a. Less than 17 yeas old. and thats being generous.
b. Amercian.

You must be one of these or both? Without looking at your profile (i bet it's detailed!) where do you fall?

:good:

Mattlee,

Thanks for the cut and paste job.

The high level analogy I made when I referenced agrophobia was a jest comparing agrophobia- fear of open spaces to claustrophobia - fear of small spaces. ....Generally.

The reason for that was that we were discussing small and large tanks.

My analogy was was in no way detailed because fish (and we are in a fish forum) in everyday life do not have problems with:

entering shops, crowds, and public places.
•being on a bridge.
•being in a lift.

:hyper:

My comment was a high level jest which I would have thought may have been seen as a bit of fun, as a close to a post.

As you are struggling with this humour I can only assume you are (and this is not to patronise you, just a guess at you demographic as another 'bit of fun')

a. Less than 17 yeas old. and thats being generous.
b. Amercian.

You must be one of these or both? Without looking at your profile (i bet it's detailed!) where do you fall?

:good:
a fear of being in a place where help will not be available, or where you feel it may be difficult to escape to a safe place

clearly shows that agrophobia isnt all about the fear of open spaces..... again a nice cut and paste job to help you try to understand what agrophobia is about in a wider spectrum!

if you could be bothered to look at my profile you will also clearly see that i am not under 17 or American........ although im not sure on these comments and im sure the people that do fit into these catagories also will not know what you mean... maybe you could explain as there are a lot of Americans and young people on here that im sure would like to know too!!!!!!

i do understand that fish dont cross bridges, unless there is a decorative one in the tank... and dont travel on busses, trains etc etc etc but your idea of agrophobia being just about large spaces isnt correct so i was just trying to point you in the right direction.

the forum is here to help people along and advise and correct mistakes, i hope ive helped :unsure:

as for your tank, if you want to keep torpedo barbs in a small tank then go for it there is nothing stopping you but im sure your fish would be happier in the long term in a larger environment. when/if you get the bigger tank then im sure they will be happy :good: but as i mentioned earlier a 22% difference in tank size is quite a bit in such a small environment. there are guides to help you and your fish some people follow them to the letter and some dont but the people that do will have a happier tank, hopefully.....

so to just clarify....

torpedo barbs in a small tank = not advisable

agrophobia = not just fear of large places, as shown :good:

Mattlee,

You're 33! You therefore seem to have led a sheltered life and have not developed a sense of humour. (IMO) :rolleyes:

a. It is widley acknowledged by Americans that they do not always 'get' the British sense of humour. Are you aware of this?
b. Adolescent humour can also take time to develop. Hence if you were not Amercian I would have understood why you post these replies.

My point being, you did not (and still don't) understand my joke ref agrophobia as it was intended.

Yes, yes, yes, agrophobia is not necessarily limited to fear of wide open spaces.

In my context I used the common understanding of the 2 'labels' as a small jest in differentiating between fish that need open spaces. :D

Which I am correct, and you have not corrected any mistake of mine.

Ref the extra 22% volume, put into context and looking at the big picture, this is half the story, it depends on how that volume is dimensionally achieved and the speed of the fish, which is the real world is the not an awefully big difference for you too state so confidently that 'you would not put a fish in less than 240l'. Very good, your opinion, but where is the scientific evidence to substantiate this.
If you can find something to cut and paste that will stand my scrutiny, feel free.

Happy to have helped on a number of accounts today. :fun:

I do not want to hear any more comments from you ref agrophobia please, any further discussion is futile, lets keep the discussion to fish volume needs.

Thanks IC1

a. It is widley acknowledged by Americans that they do not always 'get' the British sense of humour. Are you aware of this?

Holy crap IC1 you really proved your ignorance by insulting multiple nations with one sentence. That or you proved your ignorance in geography as well. FYI America refers to North America, Central America and South America so next time you may want to narrow it down a little. Just a tip from a proud USA Citizen that saved your butt in WW1 and WW2.

Congrats on sounding like a bigot though. :good:

IC1,

sheltered life - far from it mate
sense of humour - obviously not as good as yours...... (have you tried stand up?) (was that a joke? i think ive just found my sense of humour :lol: )
"you are correct" - yes and im sure you always are :lol:

if you are aware of the speed of fish and know their ways then why do/would you keep torpedo barbs in a small tank?

i have stated that i wouldnt put them in anything less than 240L or 4ft, i also said that there are guides and advice to help people and keep the fish happier. this is just my opinion.
scientific evidence......? isnt it just common sense? would you keep an oscar in a 20G? no, well i hope not... maybe you would! now there is possibly scientific evidence for this but isnt it just common sense?
why have you asked for peoples opinions about keeping RTBS with the barbs? as im sure the folk on here cant provide scientific evidence to back up their comments, advice and thoughts. maybe you need to do your own research if you cant take advice from us non scientists.....

i think the only thing you have helped me and others that read this topic/conversation is that we all have a great picture of you in our minds....... and with comments on Americans and people under certain ages on a forum that lots of these people use, not a very wise thing if you require their help (although it may not have scientific evidence to back it up) :lol:

i see you have already annoyed 1 person...... :no:

Holy crap IC1 you really proved your ignorance by insulting multiple nations with one sentence. That or you proved your ignorance in geography as well. FYI America refers to North America, Central America and South America so next time you may want to narrow it down a little. Just a tip from a proud USA Citizen that saved your butt in WW1 and WW2.

Let me just pick myself up, off the floor :lol:

As far as I am aware, this is a fish forum, not a history one (whilst we're here, you may wish to read up on the history part :good: ).

Americans, to us are people from the USA, North American are Canadians, South Americans are people from Brazil, Ecuador etc......... :blink:

Anyway, back on topic............

Let me just pick myself up, off the floor :lol:

As far as I am aware, this is a fish forum, not a history one (whilst we're here, you may wish to read up on the history part :good: ).

Americans, to us are people from the USA, North American are Canadians, South Americans are people from Brazil, Ecuador etc......... :blink:

Anyway, back on topic............
seeing as this topic has lost its fishy content a long time ago..........what about Alaskans? theyre not canadians.....

Those who don't learn from history are DOOMED to REPEAT it.

Fact is I am United States of America citizen or USA not America so I wanted him/her to clarify. I think our dominance in world politics, entertainment, generosity and goodwill and last but not least military has earned us the right. However, you should read how ignorant IC1 is before you come to defend him. He was the one asking questions and then insults the people who come to help

Back to the REAL TOPIC: Mattlee is completely correct the Torpedo Barbs are shoaling fish and really need 6 of them to be together in decent sized tank 4ft or longer. The more you keep their environment like it is in nature the better their colors show up and longer they live because they are happier. Torpedo Barbs grow 5inch give or take so multiply it out 6 of them takes up 30 of the 48 inches. Doesn't leave room for much of anything else.

Ok, where do I start....

'FYI America refers to North America, Central America and South America' Yes, Correct, however us Brits usually generalise and call North America - USA, 'the states' or America... It's not ignorance it's is a type of slang.

'a. It is widley acknowledged by Americans that they do not always 'get' the British sense of humour. Are you aware of this?'

Fantastic, Frankie21 has read the posts and clearly does not get it. Frankie21 has come to my rescue to prove this point 1st hand!!!!! Thanks Frankie21! - I will assume this point can now be put to bed. (Not literally Mattlee, I don't want cut and paste about what putting to bed actually is please!)

Frankie, really not the place to discuss WW1 and WW2, where the heck did that come from?

Back on topic,

'Back to the REAL TOPIC: Mattlee is completely correct the Torpedo Barbs are shoaling fish and really need 6 of them to be together in decent sized tank 4ft or longer. The more you keep their environment like it is in nature the better their colors show up and longer they live because they are happier. Torpedo Barbs grow 5inch give or take so multiply it out 6 of them takes up 30 of the 48 inches. Doesn't leave room for much of anything else.'

Yes, discussed they are shoaling fish, but querying the science behind required tanks lengths and data behind all the statements.
:*

"but querying the science behind required tanks lengths and data behind all the statements"

i have stated that i wouldnt put them in anything less than 240L or 4ft, i also said that there are guides and advice to help people and keep the fish happier. this is just my opinion.
scientific evidence......? isnt it just common sense? would you keep an oscar in a 20G? no, well i hope not... maybe you would! now there is possibly scientific evidence for this but isnt it just common sense?
why have you asked for peoples opinions about keeping RTBS with the barbs? as im sure the folk on here cant provide scientific evidence to back up their comments, advice and thoughts. maybe you need to do your own research if you cant take advice from us non scientists.....

isnt it just common sense.......?

do you really need scientific evidence........?

im sorry you dont appreciate the links and pasted info but the majority are thankfull for these.... maybe you will one day and you never know you may paste something on here for other peoples information, possibly some scientific evidence on common sense :lol: :zz

Mattless,

No, it's not common sense, if it was these forums would be empty. (As Amercians (not all, just in case Frankie reads and has a hissy fit) would say 'period'!)

'im sorry you dont appreciate the links and pasted info but the majority are thankfull for these.... ' - I missed them relating to our volume topic?

We are going around in circles now, all too subjective for me.

What shall we debate next? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back