Community To Semi Aggressive

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FishyFriend101

Reaction score
Hi I currently have a community aquarium with guppies and platys and I was thinking of switching to a semi aggressive tank. my brother and I liked the yo yo botia, tiger barbs, red tailed sharks, and the australian blue lobster. My question is are they compatible in a 29 gallon tank.
Thanks in advance.

Tank volume does not dictate what fish suit a tank, its dimensions do, after all a 19"x19"x19" is far more limiting than a 48"x12"x12".

I don't know about the red tail... I think they might get fairly large. Maybe someone else can comment on that. Most 29 gallons are 30x18x12... Inches.

Ya my tank is 30 by 18 by 12
So the rest would all work together?
Also would I be able to keep a snail a rubber lip pleco and two Cory's with them? Thanks

I think about 6 yoyo loach would be good as they like being in groups. Also have a large shoal of tiger barbs (mixing the albino,green and normal tiger barbs look awesome).

I am not sure about adding any thing else as the above is really pushing the stocking

FishyFriend101 said:
semi aggressive tank
What please is that?

Did you research your wishes? Why not?

Lobster eat fish, so no way you can house them together with bodden dwellers.
Yo-Yo and red tailed shark will definitely grow too big for your tank. Also for the tiger barbs your tank is borderline. They are best kept in groups and are very active fish.

FishyFriend101 said:
Ya my tank is 30 by 18 by 12
So the rest would all work together?
Also would I be able to keep a snail a rubber lip pleco and two Cory's with them? Thanks
The only fish from your list that are suitable are the Tiger Barbs, everything else needs more space (at least 120cm long) because of their adult size and activity levels.

Rubberlip Plec (Chaetostoma spp.) need specialized conditions far beyong the average hobby fish: 15-20x real water turnover; 20-22C; understocked tanks with regular big water changes.

Corydoras should be in species groups of at least 6+, ideally 10+. They are hardly "semi aggressive" and nippy Tiger Barbs could give them a lot of stress. Keeping the Tiger Barbs in a 12+ group (of the same colour variant IMO) is more likely to keep them more interested in their place in the group hierachy and less likely to nip other tankmates.

I just got a rubberlip. It depends on which species you get... They need a lower temp... And most need moving high oxygen water. But I wouldn't consider them semi aggressive ..

Most reactions

Back