Common Words

Fishy411 said:
i dont think you would see it in a book but it is something you use when dealing with fish and i have seen people ask what an LFs is more than once. i think it should be added.
[snapback]868445[/snapback]​

:rolleyes: Link

Do I need to say more?

Fishy411 said:
also mbuna should be in there. i would do it but i dont have an exact defination
[snapback]868445[/snapback]​

Link...

but this is supposed to be for easy reference so we shoud put it all in one spot.

Mbuna- (um-boo-na) are a group of cichlids endemic to lake Malawi (mul-a-wee), one of the three rift lakes of Africa.

credit goes to thecichlidaddict

Fishy411 said:
but this is supposed to be for easy reference so we shoud put it all in one spot.

Mbuna- (um-boo-na) are a group of cichlids endemic to lake Malawi (mul-a-wee), one of the three rift lakes of Africa.

credit goes to thecichlidaddict
[snapback]868456[/snapback]​

This thread is not for abbreviations, if i put MBUNA, maybe i should also put CORYDORAS

Fishy411 said:
you put Livebearer and anabantoid
[snapback]868478[/snapback]​

anabantid, not everyone knows what that is, same with livebearers, they give birth to live fish, therefore they are "differnt"

for more questions PM me instead of disscussing this on my thread

Def said:
"come here you little bugger, stop swimming away while I'm trying to catch you..."

Those are pretty common words when I'm dealing with fish, at least...
[snapback]868306[/snapback]​

Lol! That is definitely a common phrase, but possibly not very useful in a glossary.
:p

Ed4567 said:
ANAEROBIC: Not requiring oxygen,

If a process is anaerobic IMO it is implied that it can only occur in the absence of molecular oxygen.

Maybe include vertebrate/ invertebrate?

Also I'd drop the 'plant' bit from the definition of algae, since they are not strictly speaking vascular (true) plants.
[snapback]868384[/snapback]​

Not just aquatic either, but then that's just being pernickity....sorry.
:*)

AMMONIA- Chemical compound composed of nitrogen and hydrogen (NH3) produced as a waste product. Extremely toxic to fish in high concentrations. Removed by nitrification, largely within the filter medium.
NITRIFICATION- The biochemical oxidation of ammonium to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate. This process is carried out by specialized bacteria.
NITRATE- Chemical compound composed of nitrogen and oxygen (NO3) produced in an aquarium context by nitrification of nitrite. Toxic to fish only in high concentrations. Removed by partial water changes.
NITRITE- Chemical compound composed of nitrogen and oxygen (NO2) produced in an aquarium context by nitrification of Ammonia. Removed by further nitrification. Moderately toxic to fish.

Any help?

Ed4567 said:
ANAEROBIC: Not requiring oxygen,

If a process is anaerobic IMO it is implied that it can only occur in the absence of molecular oxygen.

[snapback]868384[/snapback]​

There is usually a specifier applied to "anaerobic" processes-- either "facultative" or "obligate". "Facultative Anaerobe" refers to organisms which can respire either with or without O2 at atmospheric pressure. "Obligate Anaerobe" refers to organisms which can only respire in the absence of O2.

Perhaps the relevence to fishkeeping should be evident in the descriptions given? If you say

"Anaerobic bacteria form in gas pockets, usually in the substrate or under a decoration, and can cause poison tank syndrome"

is more helpful than "Not requiring oxygen", even though the second is more accurate.

edit:spelling

Undawada said:
Perhaps the relevence to fishkeeping should be evident in the descriptions given? If you say

"Anaerobic bacteria form in gas pockets, usually in the substrate or under a decoration, and can cause poison tank syndrome"

is more helpful than "Not requiring oxygen", even though the second is more accurate.

edit:spelling
[snapback]869302[/snapback]​

Though in this case one should probably add that anaerobic bacteria can be of great use (in Live Rock or a deep sand bed) in removing Nitrate from the water by converting it to Nitrogen gas.

I wish to dissagree with Lateral Liones definition of Brackish. Brackish is a term to describe anywhere where marine and fresh water mix. The salinity of brackish can extend up to SG of 1.020 and on until you reach Ocean levels of around 1.023 to 1.026 whereupon it would be considered Marine.

Most algae is plant life (they are classified in the plant kingdom) with some exceptions (such as cyanobacteria - blue-green algae).

Mbuna is not an abbreviation and neither is corydoras. Also, technically, your livebearer definition is of live-bearing toothicarps. There are other fish that give birth to live young (Stingrays) that are not termed livebearers (quite possibly because the young are referred to as pups).

Finally, fish do not have to be in the same species to shoal or even to school (definitions below).

Shoal: A collection of a number of fish possibly for hunting, possibly for protection from predation, but without any collective identity

School: A collection of fish which tend to act more as a single organism consisting of fish rather than a number of fish grouped together (think mackeral).

Edit: A better (yet far more definitive) explanation of the above is here

Most reactions

Back