Color

steve620

Reaction score
These two cichlids were the same bright orange color, what does it mean
gold1.jpg
gold2.jpg
when they start losing color?

Those are mbunas. From what i the lighter once an orange blotch zebra and the other once an red zebra. I have kept mbunas for a while now. The dominant once always have more vibrant colours than the not so dominant once. Is your tank peaceful? Well as peaceful as an african cichlid tank goes? What is the size of the tank and what are the other stockings in the tank with them?

Those are mbunas. From what i the lighter once an orange blotch zebra and the other once an red zebra. I have kept mbunas for a while now. The dominant once always have more vibrant colours than the not so dominant once. Is your tank peaceful? Well as peaceful as an african cichlid tank goes? What is the size of the tank and what are the other stockings in the tank with them?
I have a 65 gallon with a sump, I have 2 yellow labs, 2 golden Mbuna, 2 venustus, white albinos, 2 blue johanni, 3 convicts . I have no problem with fighting.I had thses same fish for about 3 years now and just lost my first one ( convict),

I have a 65 gallon with a sump, I have 2 yellow labs, 2 golden Mbuna, 2 venustus, white albinos, 2 blue johanni, 3 convicts . I have no problem with fighting.I had thses same fish for about 3 years now and just lost my first one ( convict),

Interesting mix you go there. Predator haps with mbunas plus some central Americans. As long as it works and you have no problems its all good to go i guess. My tanks an all Mbuna tank and i have 2 synodantis catfish in there with them. Nothing to worry about. Just do some scape changes once in a while so the bigger fish or more aggressive fish cant get territorial and bully the other once. Don't worry too much about the colour. As i mentioned in the previous post the dominant once always are more colourful than the not so dominant once.

The reason I have those fish is I never had cichlids before, I went to the aquarium store and told them I wanted Cichlids, I was there with the wife and she picked them out. by the time i found out what I purchased it was to late. they were real little, So i just watch them very close so far so good. I would like to add 5 more Cichlids to the tank. Can you suggest what I should get? I have not purchased any new fish in 3 years.

The reason I have those fish is I never had cichlids before, I went to the aquarium store and told them I wanted Cichlids, I was there with the wife and she picked them out. by the time i found out what I purchased it was to late. they were real little, So i just watch them very close so far so good. I would like to add 5 more Cichlids to the tank. Can you suggest what I should get? I have not purchased any new fish in 3 years.
You know after further looking at your pictures im thinking the lighter once a female. Mbuna like to breed like jack rabbits, non stop. She might be holding. They hold their babies in their mouth for ages. This can be quiet stressful for the mother. This can be a reason while shes losing colour. Post a picture of the whole tank please and the we can see whG to suggest. And also if you tell us your water parametres, this will also help.

Ammonia Less than 0.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20-40 water change 80% every week because of high Nitrates, PH 7.2 - 7.6
temperature fluctuates 78.5 to 80F also notice the cave is where the light orange one hangs out till its feeding time.
I have a yellow lab that hangs on a branch like a bird.

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 38
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    361.2 KB · Views: 27
Ammonia Less than 0.25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20-40 water change 80% every week because of high Nitrates, PH 7.2 - 7.6
temperature fluctuates 78.5 to 80F also notice the cave is where the light orange one hangs out till its feeding time.
I have a yellow lab that hangs on a branch like a bird.

From what you are saying im more and more likely starting to think the light orange is holding fry. Just keep an eye out. If i was to suggest i will go with more mbuna species. Its generally suggested when you keep these species, you have to keep a lot of them together. If theres chasing and bullying its divided between many. Look for a species called Pseudotropheus acei. Very beautiful mbuna. Blue with yellow tail. They also tend to be a little bit more calmer than the other species.

Most reactions

Back