Collect Fish And Shipping Them

scolby

Reaction score
I'm going to the Florida Keys and im going to collect a few things, anyone have some ideas on how to ship them back (to Delaware)? I'm planning on putting them in a styrofoam cooler with a heat pack. Any ideas for the oxygen? I don't really want to buy an oxygen tank, sort of expensive :unsure:

what fish are you going to collect if you collect anything nice i would buy them

It depends what I can find. Im not going for a specific species, just whatever I can get.

Im actually shipping them, like in the mail. I dont believe I can bring them on the plan so I am trying to find the best way to ship them, like the distributors and websites do

For overnight shipping you need to be using Oxygen. You'd get away with same day delivery and using air in large bags, but if they get delayed......

For overnight shipping you need to be using Oxygen. You'd get away with same day delivery and using air in large bags, but if they get delayed......

Have you ever seen oxygen tabs? Ive heard about tabs you can put in the water that release oxygen, but ive never actually seen them myself.

collect them from where shops?

No, I'm collecting them from the Florida Keys

Have you ever seen oxygen tabs? Ive heard about tabs you can put in the water that release oxygen, but ive never actually seen them myself

Yes, I've seen them. They disolve and rocket up the hardness in a small volume of water. They are un-safe to use in such a small body of water :sad: There are "breathable" fish bags available, but my supervisor at work recons they are c?@p...

All the best
Rabbut

Gonna be tough Scolby. You do realize that most of the reefs in the florida keys are protected areas where collection is illegal? Just want you to know what you're doing.

As for shipping them, you'll have to bag with Oxygen, add a heat pack, and ship in a styrofoam container overnight air. By the time you pay for all that, it's going to be cheaper to just buy the livestock :(

Gonna be tough Scolby. You do realize that most of the reefs in the florida keys are protected areas where collection is illegal? Just want you to know what you're doing.

As for shipping them, you'll have to bag with Oxygen, add a heat pack, and ship in a styrofoam container overnight air. By the time you pay for all that, it's going to be cheaper to just buy the livestock :(

I'm aware of the protected areas, I already researched where I can collect and what the bag limits are. I know it will be expensive but I think it will be worth it if i can find anything good. With all the dive shops down there maybe I could just get one of them to fill the bags with oxygen so I dont have to get my own tank

Most reactions

Back