Clown Loach

Clairel

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have read up alot about Clown Loaches, as i have 2... :D Very recent i may add.

On the internet although it say most variety of Loaches are noc-turnal it says that Clown loaches arnt, but mine ARE Lol, they hide all day, and only seem to come out in the evening...Does anyone else have this problem?

Claire x

Well ours do tend to lazy around during the day, but it doesn't mean they don't come out @ all, if we never had our 6 barred distochodus, then i'd think they'd come out alot more, tho they are alot more active when our moonlight LED's are on ! IMO they can be varied!

I think it depends on how comfortable they are, if they feel safe to venture out. I have 4 YoYo Loaches that are out all the time, swimming the tank. When I first got them, they would hide a lot and when I would come up to the tank, they would scatter. After a month of that, they settled in and are very active and dont take off as fast when I come up to the tank. I think Clowns are a bit more sensitive. Also, clown loaches like to be in groups of 6 or more, which also makes them more comfortable...

Ok i only have 2 :*) perhaps i should think of getting some more? I dont want to overstock my tank just yet though, as i have 20 fish in total, very small ones, apart from the clown loaches, and 2 gouramis, i have had a problem with my ammonia, and lost a silver shark, and a Mollie, so hopefully, once i have everything back to normal, i will look into getting somemore Clown Loaches :D

Claire x

we have 4 clown loaches, two medium sized and two smaller, they are all really active in the mornings, especially during feeding times, the medium two tend to disapear in the afternoon, and evening, and the smaller ones are starting to follow suit as they get bigger. i would say ours our early to rise and early to bed!! :)

Clairel said:
Ok i only have 2 :*) perhaps i should think of getting some more? I dont want to overstock my tank just yet though, as i have 20 fish in total, very small ones, apart from the clown loaches, and 2 gouramis, i have had a problem with my ammonia, and lost a silver shark, and a Mollie, so hopefully, once i have everything back to normal, i will look into getting somemore Clown Loaches :D

Claire x
[snapback]897906[/snapback]​

How big is your tank?

Hi its 90 litres..... I think i have quite enough stock at the moment..... I feel kinda sorry for my Silver Shark though, as i had a pair, and one died....so hes all alone -_-

Claire x

90 litres and you have 2 clown loaches and a silver shark. They grow big you know!!!!

My two are only small but im getting a bigger tank soon so can put them in there. (some people will prob moan at me saying you shouldnt buy fish on the basis your getting a bigger tank soon. But i needed them to eat snails and I am getting a bigger tank!)

Clairel said:
Hi its 90 litres..... I think i have quite enough stock at the moment..... I feel kinda sorry for my Silver Shark though, as i had a pair, and one died....so hes all alone -_-

Claire x
[snapback]898113[/snapback]​

90 litres is too small for clown loaches. They will out grow that tank very quickly. You definately dont need to buy anymore, and you might want to consider re-homing the clown loaches you have, they get very big...

Good Luck

Yep 90 litres is way too small, I made the same mistake buying three for my 70 litre. Well in a way its not all my fault, to many LFS sell clowns and bala's to loosley. They just tell you they prefer to be in shoals and then tell you your tank size is fine, which sadly about 6months later i found out it was way too small!!!
If i were you id take them back asap if you cant get a much bigger tank (6ftx2x2 or at least 125g) Because the longer you leave it the more youll get attached. If you can get a new tank id diffently keep them because if you take them back they may well just end up in someone elses tank whos is the same size or smaller, As not many people own 6footers. :(

that is exactly what happened to us, we have four clown loach, they are all still small, but we know they'll be getting bigger.. a lot bigger! so we are currently looking at a lovely big rena 6x2x2!! can't wait to get it.. although this does mean we will also have to move to a house, so we have a ground floor.. but we were planning that anyway :D
hope you can manage a big tank! you can get them quite resonably priced on ebay! :whistle:
good luck!

Wow...really??? Wohoooooooooooooooooo

Thats very nice to know Lol.... They are very adorable arnt they? Mine only come out on the evening though :/ and i sit there watching them all night Lol....hehe

Claire xx

Mine out all the time only when changing water they tend to get scare. Other time yoyo and them offen chase each other like mad.

Most reactions

Back