Cloudy Water

IONMEL

Reaction score
my water keeps getting cloudy , i feed them very little once a day and still cloudy water, what could i do?

Hi.
Is the tank cycled? It sounds like an algea bloom, caused by new tank cycling. What are the water statistics and how often are you changing the water?

Jack

Hi.
Is the tank cycled? It sounds like an algea bloom, caused by new tank cycling. What are the water statistics and how often are you changing the water?

Jack

i tested yesterday ammonia .50 to 1.0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0 to 10.0

You will need to do a 50% waterchange,
how big is the tank and what is the stocking? Also when was it set-up?

Jack

OK, stocking is fine.

I would reccomend a 50% waterchange then re-test the water.
Everytime the ammonia or nitrite is above 0, it means you need to do a waterchange.

Ie; Ammonia 0.25ppm =25% waterchange
Ammonia 0.50ppm= 50% waterchange etc.

HTH
Jack

OK, stocking is fine.

I would reccomend a 50% waterchange then re-test the water.
Everytime the ammonia or nitrite is above 0, it means you need to do a waterchange.

Ie; Ammonia 0.25ppm =25% waterchange
Ammonia 0.50ppm= 50% waterchange etc.

HTH
Jack

thanks alot man i had no idea about that

I know the rainbow shark is rather small but when the reach adulthood they can become very territoral and the mininum size tank recommend is 55 gallons

I know the rainbow shark is rather small but when the reach adulthood they can become very territoral and the mininum size tank recommend is 55 gallons

im in the process if building a new tank 190g

im in the process if building a new tank 190g

Cloudy water usually comes from bacteria.

There are bacteria that live in the water (not the same ones as in the filter) and if there is excess organic matter or chemicals that bacteria can eat in the tank, these bacteria will suddenly have a population explosion and make the water cloudy.

How many fish do you have? What kind of filter do you have? How many LPH does it do? Do you have a gravel vacuum or siphon? How often do you clean your gravel?

These bacterial blooms could be causing the ammonia spike, as they'll break the organics in the water down into ammonia. Do as many water changes as necessary to keep the ammonia at zero, but don't worry about the bloom too much. With good tank maintainence, it should go away eventually.

Feed a tiny amount once a day or even cut down to once every two days for a while, pull out any dead leaves/dying plants, check for dead fish and make sure you clean your gravel really well at least once a week with a gravel siphon.

Bacterial Blooms Explained

There are bacteria that live in the water (not the same ones as in the filter) and if there is excess organic matter or chemicals that bacteria can eat in the tank, these bacteria will suddenly have a population explosion and make the water cloudy.

How many fish do you have? What kind of filter do you have? How many LPH does it do? Do you have a gravel vacuum or siphon? How often do you clean your gravel?

These bacterial blooms could be causing the ammonia spike, as they'll break the organics in the water down into ammonia. Do as many water changes as necessary to keep the ammonia at zero, but don't worry about the bloom too much. With good tank maintainence, it should go away eventually.

Feed a tiny amount once a day or even cut down to once every two days for a while, pull out any dead leaves/dying plants, check for dead fish and make sure you clean your gravel really well at least once a week with a gravel siphon.

about 12 and 4 babies guppies, i have 2 filters ones for 55g with a bio wheel, the other is up to 30g reg , i have gravel but im thinking of putting sand instead of gravel is it better then gravel?

i have plants in the water if i use the siphon i would have to take them out right

just changed 50% of the water and its .25 now the ammonia, i will test again tommorw and change 25% of the water, but to should i use the tablets to clear it up cause its still cloudy not as much as before

Most reactions

Back