Cloning Tank Advice

sammy86

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hello there!!
right...

i am going from a 10 gallon 1 year old unplanted tank to

a 6 gallon fully planted tank...

i heard about cloning so i filled the water about 60% with new water - left it 2 days, then added sand (with some bits of waste) and water from the exsisting tank...

i have the new plants and filter in and now i am running my mature filter in the new tank..

am i doing this right? if so how long do i have to have the old filter in there for it to be safe enough to put my new tankmakes in.

i am only putting in my 4 Dwarf frogs and a hillstream loach.

thanks! ^^

Whenever I clone a tank, I always leave the mature filter in for at least two weeks to give the bacteria time to transplant. A month is ideal though if you can do that.

oh ... i thought the point of cloning a tank was to bypass the whole cycle...a month is aoundabout the same time you cycle...a little confused now ^^

I had the same question when I wanted to clone a tank and got some good advice from Andywg.
I took the media from one of my bigger filters and put it in the new filter. Fish were added the next day with no problems. :good:

^^^ Yep, that's the shortcut. No waiting a month for fish to go in. You can just pop them in right then and there.

If you wanted to be totally safe you could add some ammonia (a little bit) to make sure it gets converted.. like it normally would in a cycled tank.

But hopefully you will be ok.

Most reactions

Back