Cleaning Algae From Ornaments

mattlee

get on a board and do yo thang...!
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
i recently bought a secondhand plastic/resin cave for my quarentine tank but when i got it home i realised it is totally covered in algae :sick: the tank it had come from was obviously neglected and not cared for and the cave had never been cleaned.

ive soaked it and gone at it with one of those sponge things with green rough stuff on one side and its hardly touched it :crazy:

does anyone have any tips/advice on how to get it off? i kind of need this cave asap so the sooner i get it cleaned the better.

I'm not sure, but what about if you dry out the algae? will it scrub off easier then?

got a bn plec in any of your tanks mate? failing that try a wire brush or suede brush .

got a bn plec in any of your tanks mate? failing that try a wire brush or suede brush .
i do but i dont trust the orament until ive cleaned it so dont want to plop it in one of my tanks :crazy:

would a bleach solution and scrubbing brush work? :unsure:

good point mate dont know whats on the thing , yeah id say that should work with a bit of elbow grease

Toothbrush works well, if its a resin ornament, careful with a scrubbing or brush thats too rough, you could take the paint off (yup done that one!). Failing that I have heard the dishwasher with no poweder or anything in is pretty good at cleaning up ornaments. Hubby's mate did that, ornaments were really clean. His Mrs was non to pleased though. :lol:

Toothbrush works well, if its a resin ornament, careful with a scrubbing or brush thats too rough, you could take the paint off (yup done that one!). Failing that I have heard the dishwasher with no poweder or anything in is pretty good at cleaning up ornaments. Hubby's mate did that, ornaments were really clean. His Mrs was non to pleased though. :lol:
just mentioned the dishwasher to the wife and i got a 100% NO! :lol:

she did however say about using sodium bicarbonate and leave it to soak...... anyone tried this? :unsure:

bicarbonate of soda? youd be amazed what that stuff will shift

It should be ok so long as you rinse it really really well.

I have no idea really, I would start off with a small amount and add more little by little. Or wait till the Mrs is in bed and use the dishwasher. :lol:

I have no idea really, I would start off with a small amount and add more little by little. Or wait till the Mrs is in bed and use the dishwasher. :lol:
:grr: i think ill try the bicarb..... not worth the headache :lol:

Most reactions

Back