Clean Up Fish?

Joeyg2100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 35 gallon Hex tank that I am setting up for breeding Blue Ram's. My question is what catfish would work good for cleaning up left over food? I want one that will not eat the eggs from the rams, and one that will fit in this tank.

I was thinking maybe a Otto cat. Any help is appriciated. Thanks

It Would Be Hard To Find One That Doesnt Eat The Eggs To Be Honest..But Sorry I Cant Help You :sad:

How bout small albino catfish that only grow to 5cm big.

They are bottom scavangers, I plan on getting 2 next week.

How bout small albino catfish that only grow to 5cm big.

They are bottom scavangers, I plan on getting 2 next week.
Please don't get just 2. Cories are MUCH happier in shoals, at least 4 or 5.

To the OP: Cories can eat eggs, though, as can most if not all plecos. Otos won't scavange much as they rely nearly entirely on plant-based matter and have sucking disk mouths, and spend very little time on the bottom.

The simple answer is, don't overfeed. If lots of food is regularly hitting the bottom, cut back. Rams are pretty territorial and will likely attack anything you put in to "clean" the bottom. Rams themselves are "pickers" like most cichlids and will pick up things from the bottom and mouth the substrate if it's small enough when hunting for food. If yours won't pick, you're again overfeeding them.

I have a 35 gallon Hex tank that I am setting up for breeding Blue Ram's. My question is what catfish would work good for cleaning up left over food? I want one that will not eat the eggs from the rams, and one that will fit in this tank.

I was thinking maybe a Otto cat. Any help is appriciated. Thanks

If you have an uneaten food problem it is most likely you are over-feeding the fish or feeding the wrong sorts of foods or simply feeding the fish too much when you do even if you are not over-feeding them overal. What foods do you feed the fish and how much on average and how often?

I love my ottos (I just had some otto babys and I'm telling the world about it ).... But they will only clean algae, they will not help clean the tank bottom of food.... Cory's will eat your eggs as will most other fish (there’s nothing fish like more than caviar).... Best advice I have is just be more carefull about the overfeeding.... :) Good luck with breeding…… :good:

Most reactions

Back