Classroom Tank...dwarf Gouramis

granniek

Reaction score
I've set up a 29 gal aquarium for in a Spec Ed Jr. High School classroom. Last year I had male guppies, three gold gouramies and three dwarf gouramies. Sorry guys I don't know species names and haven't the time (dial-up connection) to search out the info. All did well with the exception of the dwarf gouramis. They are so pretty and the class loved them, but were stricken as they died.

The tank's only decor is large pieces of petrified wood and some artificial plants and a couple NOID interesting rocks. I bought a new pump/filter this year, a Whisper Internal Filter.

The kids invariably ask me about adding a Betta.......will they live in harmony with guppies & gouramies? They've also asked about angelfish. I had angels in this tank years ago when I had it at home, but I only had angels. Can they be mixed with the peaceful gourami & guppy? TIA for any input. You'll make a busy Teacher's Aide and 6th/7th grade kids happy for your knowledge.

I wouldn't recommend the betta as there's a good chance the gouramis would nip the flowing fins up, and the angels, if you add them, would probably do that too, at least potentially. If its a "29 tall" (ie. the typical 17",18" high 29 gallon, then that's an ok tank for at most a pair of angels, along with the existing fish. Others may come along and get a bit more detailed about your stocking.. The angels also may nip up the male guppy fins after they get big but again that varies with the individual personality of the fish sometimes. ...just my thoughts,

~~waterdrop~~

Dwarf gouramis are very sensitive and hard to keep because of poor breeding, so it's not surprising that they died. You shouldn't put a male (or female, really) betta in the tank because he may attack the guppies as they have bright colorful fins like males bettas and bettas often fight with gouramis as well.

You should really find out why the fish died before adding more :) As its the dwarf gourami's that kicked the bucket i wouldnt look for anything too sinister, quite frankly you could fart near a DG tank and kill them off. Got yourself a water test kit?

Thx everyone! I do not have a wter test kit. I use well water and just the ph strips the Science teacher gave me. What is in a test kit? I never even used one when I had the angels. The fish were a gift from a friend and he helped me set up a tank and told me how to maintain it. I had the pair of angels for several years, but had to give them away when we made a move.

I'll forget about the gouramis and will continue telling the kids no to the betta query. Last year one of the boys brought one to class and we got a small aquarium out of the science lab, named him 'Bubba' and we enjoyed his presence.

The tank is the long type, probably 38". Can someone refresh this 'senior' mind on the requirements for keeping a couple Angel Fish healthy & happy? Are young angels more difficult? There is no school supply for angels and I'll be purchasing these on my own.

Most aquarium test kits have one or two reagent liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH (the API freshwater master kit has two pH tests, with different ranges). Ammonia and nitrite are the important ones - the pH strips from your science department may be more accurate than the API test, but either way, pH is a largely unimportant stat as long as it doesn't fluctuate.

In the meantime, reviewing these pages may help reveal what happened to the fish, as this sounds like a case of new tank syndrome:
What is cycling/cycling with fish:
http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...eady-have-fish/
Fishless cycling:
http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...shless-Cycling/

granniek,

The Nitrogen Cycle, at the core of the aquarium hobby, is a truly fascinating topic and worthy of attempts to interest young students. The articles here on the forum (like Corleone sites) and the helpful knowledge of the members can help you tap into this and add a lot of richness around the business of learning what will make the angels happy.

~~waterdrop~~

As a retired teacher, I think it would be a GREAT Science project!

try a loach ( kuhli are fun) they are wormy snakes and hard to find they keep my kids entertained for hours.

I have also found scissor tails to be very peacefull and good tank members they have a glowing neon line down them when they are in dim lights and are part clear so a good talking point sor kids too.

Dwarf Gourami are prone to a fatal Iridovirus. Once you're satisfied the tank conditions are ok, try some Honey Gourami.

The tank IS stablized. I shut it down & cleaned it well last June, saving the filter and most of the substrate in a large ice chest with the pum running. Well two of the students brought in three of the dwarf gourami, so I'll keep fingers crossed that they live this time! I told the classes, NO more fish donations.

Regarding the kuhli loach, I had one last year as I'd read that they were lots of fun. We NEVER saw the little guy. The kids were always wanting to move the rocks to look for him so it just created too much of a problem. In June I gave it to a student who had an aquarium at home. Thx for all the input. Right now I think all I need to add is some clean-up bottom dwellers. Any suggestions there? Plecos, otos, cory?

unfortunately if the filter was left running with no food source (i.e. fish waste or ammonia) then the bacteria will have died off, the links posted above will explain this some more.

a couple of small plecs like bristlenoses would work, i think a group of corries would be a great addition though, they're so much fun to watch I think the kids would be very taken with them.

Unfortunately, after a quick glance back at our thread here, I have to agree with MW that we may have a Fish-In cycle coming up here.

granniek, I'm picturing you, based on your own description here, as a busy teacher's aide and I'm trying to think how we can best help to compact and shorten the learning curve for you if that is indeed needed. Seems like the best thing might be for you to find a quiet evening when you get a chance and read as many of MW's links in her signature area and then come back and ask us questions. The question & answer approach is very powerful and MW is brilliant at bringing interested learners up to speed, not to mention the other members here too.

It just sounds like we need to cover the nitrogen cycle basics with this filter and be sure you are started on the right foot and understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong as I could be!) and then right away there will start to be some great tidbits to start sharing with any of the kids who are interested in what's going on with the classroom tank...

~~waterdrop~~

just remembered about this

here is a link to a v good FAQ about dwarf gourami's. it's written by Neale Monks, he's one of the countries leading fishkeeping writers and writes for a number of magazines, he also has some books published.

if ever there's a trustworthy source it's Neale!

http://www.fishforums.net/content/Gouramis...ami-Mini-F-A-Q/

Thx for the info. I failed to mention that the ice chest also contained the one surviving gourami and eight male guppies.

MW, I will get corries this weekend. I read the link on gouramis and will read the others as I have time.

I've already shared with the kids the fact that I'm learning from you guys and yes, several of them are interested in what's happening in the tank that they can't see!

Most reactions

Back