cichlids with plants?

mtdewlover

Reaction score
I just got a 55 gallon tank. I already have 5 african cichlids that I will be putting in the tank. I'm setting up the tank for cycle on Saturday. But before saturday I must decide if I'm going to make this a planted tank. This is where you come in. Can I have plants and african cichlids? Is it possible, impossible, good idea, bad idea?

Thanks for the help

I was told that java fern would do. They did eventually finish it off, but it lasted much longer than my other plants (plecos didnt help either :) )

besides eating the plants, africans are diggers. you mustn find a way to anchor the plants from being uprooted. uprooted plants can float around and get sucked into the filters and powerheads. also decaying matter will cause the toxins to rise.

as for them eating the plants as long as you keep them well fed they will not usually resort to munching on your plants for a snack. i feed mine three times a day and each meal is different. staple in the am, veggies for africans and protein for sa/ca's at lunch, pellet food for the sa/ca's emerald green or daphnia for the africans i8n the pm.

tougher and more fibrous plants are not that desirable either.

besides eating the plants, africans are diggers.

Semper Fi is right. I have a cichlid tank and boy do they love to dig. I wouldn't suggest putting plants. Put rocks... They love rocks and hidding spots.

I imagine it could be done but IME I have never been able to and haven't heard much success with it for the reasons stated by semper fi.

I had Mbuna that while I was doing wc's as soon as I was past their "spots" and only an inch away or so, they were already digging. They really like to dig. In about a day I would have most of the gravel all up fron or in the back or completely gone from one whole side.

My CA's were a mixture, some would move loads of all the gravel and put it all in one corner of the tank and others didn't move any but if I put anything in the tank they would get po'd and move the plant all over the tank like it was trying to find a place to get rid of it.

I don't think it's worth the hassle of trying unless you want to give them something to snack on or play with.

i have used those suction cups for windows. there is a metal peice on the top of it. i removed the top and tied a plant with fishing line and threaded that through the top of it. suction cupped that to the bottom and covered it with gravel. that worked.

you can also tie moss to driftwood and use that also.

if there is a will there is a way.

also supposedly cichlids do not the more bitter tasting plants.

*pictures mtdewlover "taste testing" the plant section @ his local fish store :lol:

You know i realized that right after I posted that but forgot to edit :) Sorry Dude! :rolleyes: <-- My girlfriend hates when I call her that.. lol :)

Hey Mtdewlover,

I've had some success with Anubias barteri, it's supposedly bitter, (no I haven't done a taste test!) but my Aulonocara haven't killed it off yet in ~ a year. They do still chew on it though, it looks a bit ragged but it's hangin in there. I guess if you want cichlids and plants in the same tank you pretty much have to keep Discus or some other fairly meek SA cichlid.

Cheers,
Fin :alien:

Most reactions

Back