Chris' Braceless Zeo Reef

chr15_8

Fish Herder
Reaction score
After having my custom nano tank for just over a year i have decided to upgrade it (never thought i would want to!)

Over the last 5 months i added a few SPS frags which took quite well imo. So this tank will be mainly SPS with a few softies and a couple of LPS.

The New Tank
Approx. 59x22x19inch (LxWxD)

89 gallons (UK)
107 gallons (US)
404 litres

It will be constructed out of 12mm with opti-white glass on the front and both side panels. It is being built by Keith of Windsor Aquatics.

The weir will be in the back left corner. I will be using a twin standpipe + an extra hole for the return.

I will be using a Eheim 3000 compact for the return pump.

I will be using my existing sump which measures around 27.5 x 14.5 x 17 inch (LxWxD)

23 gallons (UK)
28 gallons (US)
107 litres

Water Circulation
1 x Vortech mp40 (12,113 lph)
2 x Modded Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6025 (stated at 2500 lph)

This will give me around 42x flow without the return pump or the added lph the modded Tunze will give (if they give any)

Other Equipment
I bought a Vertex zeo reactor while i was in the states so this will be used

Ive also got a Bubble Magus Nac6a which i will be using on this setup from my last set up

Just bought one of those cheap babyfish dosing pump of ebay, so as long as it performs ok this will be getting used.

Lighting
I will be making my own suspended t5 light fixture. Im currently getting the metal bent and will then be getting it powder coated. Im going to use arcadia reflectors.

It will contain
2x 80w tubes
5x 54w tubes
1 set of moon lights

I will be able to switch the tubes in pairs (except 1 tube which will be a single)

Frag Tank

I'm building a frag tank measuring 24x15x8 inch. It will be in the cupboard on a draw underneath the main tank. The draw will make it easier to get into the frag tank (this might not get used but will build it in).

The tank will get its circulation from a Eheim compact 2000. It will be lit be 2 x 24w t5.

This is the design of the stand I'm building
stand.jpg

Livestock
Ive already got a list of fish for this tank. (The count at the moment is around 37)

Hopefully tank will be due around the 4th to 11th December :D

Thanks for looking
Chris

Woo wee - that looks like a super duper piece of tank - take it you now have the TFF money tree :p

Seffie x

Woo wee - that looks like a super duper piece of tank - take it you now have the TFF money tree :p

Seffie x

I wont have by Christmas time, when its hopefully running!

Picked up my metal for my suspended pendant, also picked up the acrylic for my frag tank.

sorry about the poor pictures but they were from my phone. Ive got 2 end caps for these.
05112010154.jpg

Last night i put together the frag tank minus the brace bars. Ive just done a quick wet test and didnt get any leaks :) Not too happy with how the joint came out as theres quite a few bubbles. There was no bowing in the tank at all so will probably leave the braces off.

06112010161.jpg

Just finished undercoating the stand. Will be giving it the first coat of gloss tonight.

Before the undercoat. balanced everything to make sure it all would fit.
05112010158.jpg

Thanks
Chris

Nope not in the slightest at this stage lol.

Just finishing redecorating my room. Carpet has only just gone back down. Parent are getting home tomorrow so everthing has to be back in its place lol.

Once all the painting is finished i will probably start to enjoy the build, to me its one of the interesting bits.

Got back from a short holiday yesturday and had today of so done a few little things.

Before i went away i painted the stand with gloss to protect the ply from the water.

Today i went to rs components to pick a few things up for my light pendant. Hopefully i will be starting this Sunday.

I added a piece of ply to the back on the right hand side so i could mount the sockets. Hopefully i wont need any more!
12x double sockets
19112010266.jpg

Stand almost ready. Just need to add the frag tray and the sump stand (need to make sure it was 100% level first.
19112010264.jpg

19112010265.jpg

Thanks for looking.
Chris

Wow wee, you sure you got enough sockets :p all kidding aside, I wish I had done that :D

Seffie x

I hope so Seffie! Thats the reason i done them all now. Easy when your doing them to put in more than it will be in 2 months time !

Thanks for the comments

Another quick update.

Finished the stand today (Frag tank 'draw' and sump base). All i need to do is give the new bits of ply a coat of pva to help seal it, ive also got to put a few pieces of metal on the underside of the ply frag tank 'draw' to stop it bowing once full of water.

Finished stand
21112010278.jpg

Frag tank draw
21112010279.jpg

Hopefully only another 13 days till the tank comes :D. Hopefully going to be picking up my reef plates/reef bones next week along with the plumbing and reflectors.

Unfortunately the tank wont be coming this weekend due to the snow.

That means i will now have a chance to get on with my DIY suspended lighting unit.

Thanks to the tank being delayed and delivered next weekend instead this gave me time to get on with the lighting unit.

Ive almost finished it now. All i need is to get the twin 80w ballast and the fans.

Im thinking about getting the unit powder coated but unsure on the colour. Was thinking white but the heat will probably discolour it.

A few pictures of the unit
05122010301.jpg

You can see the lamp holers at the bottom are off set, this is due to where the weir is being positioned and the light would be wasted if i was to centre it.
05122010308.jpg

All put together
05122010305.jpg

Balancing to give an idea of its location
04122010298.jpg

Hopefully will be going to pick up the reef plates and rock tomorrow as well as the reflectors and tanks plumbing

Thanks
Chris

Thanks for the comments.

Ben the hardest part is the electrical side as i had the metalwork done for me, all i had to do was drill the holes. Im an electrician so wiring was that hard but its all marked on the ballast's anyway.

Today i had a half day so I went and picked up my plumbing, reflectors and my reef bones/plates. Big thanks to Nick at Coral Culture really happy with the bones and plates had a really nice selection of both big and smaller pieces.

Quickly knocked up 2 structures just so i got a little idea of how I want it before I rinsed them.

06122010311.jpg

06122010313.jpg

06122010312.jpg

They all just about fit into my frag tank, very handy while they are soaking in RO.
06122010314.jpg

06122010315.jpg

Tomorrow I will be fitting the reflectors on my light unit. :D

Thanks
Chris

y reef plate/rock has been soaking in RO water now for the last 4 days.

Ive completely changed the water 4 times now.

Ive taken the tds reading before each water change ( i know it what show much but shows me the rock is getting cleaner)

Monday - 0 (New RO added)
Tuesday - 2460 (Drain water and added new RO water)
Wednesday - 473 (Drain water and added new RO water)
Thursday - 194 (Drain water, rinse all pieces of rock under RO water add fresh water + rowaphos)

So to me the rock must be getting cleaner. I added around 1/4 of a 250ml tub of rowaphos to help remove any phosphate the rock might be hold.

Ive got a Vortech mp40 and an Eheim pro canister with the rowaphos (its in my frag tank which is approx 50 litres).

Thought i would add this in case anyone else is interested in using dry reef bones as there's not much information about it on here.

Only another 34 hours until the tank arrives :yahoo:

Most reactions

Back