choosing UV Sterilizer and Protein Skimmers

susieq

Reaction score
We have a 210 gallon salt water tank with a wet dry filter. I'm looking for a UV Sterilizer and a protein skimmer, and just don't know enough about different products out there. I have the Foster and Smith catalog which I read through..but would like some advice from actual users, not sellers. I would like the protein skimmer to be under the tank (in the sump?), and I'm not quite sure where the uv sterilizers are attached. Any insight would be appreciated.

-_- Oh, I forgot to mention this will be a fish only tank and I live in the US.

Im not sure about US brands but the Deltec MCE600 is an excellant unit that will fit in a sump easily.

The UV unit could go on the outlet of the skimmer. One thing to remember with a UV unit is to have the correct amount of flow through the unit. This should eb marked on th box, too fast and any parasites that travel through the UV unit wont be exposed to the UV light for long enough to kill them.

on the instructions to my recently recieved MCE600 it's only rated up to 150 gallons max on light stocking.

goto www.protienskimmer.com and check out aquaC's products, they have powerful insump skimmers that recieved the highest ratings. Most people swear by their other ones (remora).

Thanks for the info, I will check out www.proteinskimmer.com :)

I STRONGLY recommend Euro-Reef or ASM (same design, different materials).

If money is no object, then Deltec or H&S.

If money is somewhat of an object, then Euro-Reef.

If money is a big object, then ASM.

All have the same design idea. ER and ASM use the same pumps and impellers.

Best ASM prices are at Premium Aquatics, and they will match prices if you find it lower elsewhere. Also look on Reef Central's buying and selling forums as they have used ones all the time.

ER has "blems" that are perfectly fine with cosmetic flaws (who cares, all it is is a toilet) at www.h2otropicals.com.

These are best because they are the most plug and play design. All others require a bit of tweaking, some a lot of tweaking.

These you plop in the sump and adjust one pipe up or down and that's it.

I had an ER blem on my 75gal setup, now have an ASM on my 300 gallon system.

Enjoy!

the uv sterilizer might be unneeded.

any pods you are producing plus good bacteria will get killed going through it. i wouldnt recommend it.

As Ostrow said, ASM or Euro-Reef are great skimmers. I use a Euro-Reef. I also use a 57 watt Aqua UV on my 125. They are great units. They use a T-5 bulb for a more powerful delivery of rays. You can find them at Marine Depot, Custom Aquatic or at Premium Aquatics.

Jim

As Ostrow said, ASM or Euro-Reef are great skimmers. I use a Euro-Reef. I also use a 57 watt Aqua UV on my 125. They are great units. They use a T-5 bulb for a more powerful delivery of rays. You can find them at Marine Depot, Custom Aquatic or at Premium Aquatics.

Jim

I'd go with an ASM G4X, I have one on my 220 gallon tank, and it is a great quality skimmer that doesn't cost a ton of money. Don't be fooled by the ratings that ASM gives their skimmers, the G4X would be perfectly matched for a 210 gallon tank with a pretty good sized bio load.

Most reactions

Back