choosing the correct algae eater

The-Wolf

Ex-LFS manager/ keeper of over 30 danio species
Reaction score
Otocinclus affinis Oto aka Dwarf suckermouth catfish

Adult size 1.5" (4cm)
Often considered the best algae eater for small tanks.
Well suited to community tanks but should be kept in groups of 4 or more.
They are very sensative to water params and have a habit of dying for no apparent reason, however once established they do a fine job of keeping the
tank algae free.
Oto.jpg

Crossocheilus siamensis Siamese Algae Eater (SAE)

Adult size 5 1/2" (14cm)
Often considered the best algae eater for larger tanks and the only known algae
eater to eat red algea. Needs a well planted tank with a good tight fitting lids
as they are very good jumpers.
They thrive is schools but are also good to be kept in pairs
Interestingly the swim bladder is not very developed (compaired to other fish),
so the fish must be in constant motion or it sinks.
SAE.gif

Gyrinocheilus aymonieri Chinese Algae Eater (CAE) aka Indian Algae Eater(IAE) aka Sucking Loach.
Available in a golden form often called the Golden Sucking Loach.

Adult size 10" (25cm)
Will eat algae but only when young.
Needs rocks/bogwood for hiding amoungst.
Reputed to become very aggressive as they get older.
CAE.jpg

CAEgold.jpg

Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus Flying Fox

Adult size 6" (15.2cm)
Not that fussed about eating algae, more an algae grazer than an eater.
Well suited to a community tank; however they are very territorial to other similar shaped fish. Avoid keeping more than one specamine and avoid shark shaped fish.
They do best in slightly soft water with a pH range of 6.5 to 7.
FlyingFox.jpg

Epalzeorhynchus sp False Flying Fox

Adult size just under 6" (15cm)
Will not eat algae
A pH of 7 or slightly higher is prefered by this species, anything under 7 and they have a habit of dying. Can be kept in any community tank. Adult specimens often get aggressive toward each other. They may also harass related species and other small bottom-dwellers like loaches/corys.
picture by mr_miagi32
Dif.jpg

Crossocheilus oblongus Siamese Flying Fox

Adult size just under 6" (15cm)
Another algea grazer rather than an eater.
Ideal for a community tank as they are not aggresive but avoid other shark shaped fish; however they should be kept in pairs.
siamflyingfox.jpg

Good idea Wolf, me thinks it should be pinned, no idea where though lol.

seconded, though maybe add plecs as well to show there massive size with mae even a scale comparrison to the otehrs, and to point out how much mess they make!

great stuff wolf

Thats a great idea, Wolf. A section on algae eating shrimp & mention of mollys will make it complete.

Great stuff as a basic rough guide ! Should be pinned :)

Maybe a link under each which have a profile at TFF wolf?
Otherwise top job! :)

I have another pic of the Epalzeorhynchus sp False Flying Fox if you would like, PM if your interested wolf, otherwise that one is cool!

Thanks for the praise everyone.
I only started this just for something to do, :lol:

I have no idea on plecs, so maybe someone that is knowlageable on them could do a similar post here.
same goes with mollys and the shrimp and any other algea eating critter.

The pics used have been taken, freely, from the net; I do think it would be better to use members own pics, if indeed this does get pinned.
Mr Miagi, please pm your pic and I'll substitue it for the one posted (with the appropriate credit of course)

Good post but my experience with otos has not been good. Besides the fact that they die suddenly, they seem to forget about algae once they have gotten a taste of veggies like zuchini or cucumbers. After feeding them those once, they only seemed to hang on the side of the tank and wait for more while the algae got worse.

My SAEs on the other hand are doing great. They are nice an fat and I have no algae at all in that tank.

Another thing that you might add is algae eating shrimp. My amanos are doing a much better job in the 29 gallon than the otos every did.

Another option would be to tackle the problem that is causing excess algae to start with, thus avoiding buying fish for convienence. Unless you wanted them anyways. ;)

Agree with Cheese, it might just be worth mentioning that an algae eater is not something every tank HAS to have.
Otherwise, it's a brilliant post; thanks Wolf.

I'm working on a post about algae and ways of eliminating and preventing it :p

Most reactions

Back