Cheap Co2 Supply

toffeenose_uk

Reaction score
I have a simple canister, connected to a bubble diffuser which goes to a ladder in the tank, which then supply CO2 to the system. I bought the packs from nutrafin, 3 packs of activator and 3 packs of stabiliser. I would say this gave me a suply of 3months co2. However, this cost me 8 quid, and I thought it was a bit of a racket as simple yeast and sugar will produce co2? Correct? Then, in my supermarket other day, came across bread making yeast, for 69p, which is massive compared to the wee sachets from nutra fin which I had previosuly used. My question is will mixing caster sugar, yeast and water produce co2. Its currently bubbling a way, but I think iv got the proportions wrong, there is a lot of milky brown bubbly foam produced. Howver, i did mix the sugar and yeast and gave it a little shake when the water was in. Its been fermenting for about an hr now, and no more foam, looks like just gas!

Question am i a genius, or an idiot, if anyone knows if anything fundamentally wrong with this then let me know please. Im sure this has been thought of before, but I havent read anything about it. Thanks in advance.

Ricky

You are doing fine toffeenose_uk. Yeast and sugar will produce CO2. The exact proportions are not critical but the right mix will give the best production for the least investment in materials. The fact that a manufacturer asks you to buy the yeast from them does not make it mandatory. Any yeast will work, but brewer's yeast will tolerate a higher alcohol concentration in the sugar / water mix before it dies off and stops producing. It also costs more at least around here, so the cost / CO2 production may not really favor that yeast. Don't forget that there is plenty of yeast in a CO2 system that has slowed down its production. You could consider that as a starter for your next CO2 mix instead of using fresh yeast from the store.

many thanks folks, after initial teething problems ( shoke it and foamed evrywhere, which took a bit of effort to clean pipes ), been producing a nice stream of co2. cheers

many thanks folks, after initial teething problems ( shoke it and foamed evrywhere, which took a bit of effort to clean pipes ), been producing a nice stream of co2. cheers

Most reactions

Back