Changing Water In A Big Tank

Bath Tussue

Reaction score
i will be "upgrading" to a 90gal tank (from a 20gal tank) and have a question about water changes.

currently with the 20 gal tank, i can use my 5 gal bucket to change about 25% of the water, premixing the water conditioner and water before adding the new water into the tank.
this method won't work as well if and when i get the 90 gal tank...

can i change the water this way instead?:
- remove 25% of the water
- add proper amounts of water treatment chemicals directly to the tank
- add tap water (of correct temperature) directly from the tap

i just add the water and then add the water conditioner after, i have never had any problems.
never had a problem with water temp with only 20-30% water change.

hope this helps :)

Yip, so long as you remember the water conditioner, it'll be fine.

Dont worry about matching the temperature either, i run cold water straight into my tanks and on a 25% change the temperature never drops more than a couple of degrees.

I use filtered water in my 75, no conditioner needed. I would get a few buckets, age and condition the water before it goes in the tank...just to be safe. ;)

I use filtered water in my 75, no conditioner needed. I would get a few buckets, age and condition the water before it goes in the tank...just to be safe. ;)

There is absolutely no need to do this either fill it up straight from the hose and add conditioner or visa versa or do it with a bucket.

i've done both, but am now a strictly straight from the tapper kinda guy. Good thing we don't use the laundry sink in the basement, i've got a hose attached to the faucet for water changes.

I put the appropriate amount of dechlorinator in the tank, and then pump cold water straight in through a hose pipe from an outside tap. I've been doing 20-25% a week on a 450 litre tank, and never had any problems.

i have a 55 gallon tank and a 3.5 gallon bucket. :angry: i usually squirt some conditioner in while the bucket is filling. that seems to work for me

eek i've never added water direct from the hose into the tank when doing water changes, surely that'll kill bacteria in the filter? -_-

my routine:

fill bucket 75% full cold
25% hot (tap)
add 5mil (ish) stress coat
stir with hand/arm alla round the bucket for 20 secs or so
add to tank.

my tanks only a 190ltr though, would take all day with a 450ltr+ :lol:

50% water changes on a 90, water added straight from the tap, dechlorinator added to the tank......... works for me.

But surely it would be more cost-effective (in terms of conditioner) to treat only the new water, as you'd only treat the 25%/50%, rather than the full 90gal?
I've never added chlorinated water... I don't even use a tap to wash my nets! Is it really that safe?

eek i've never added water direct from the hose into the tank when doing water changes, surely that'll kill bacteria in the filter? -_-
:lol: that's my main concern
but even currently, lifting the 5gal of water to a level above the tank is killing my back :( and i am only 20...

But surely it would be more cost-effective (in terms of conditioner) to treat only the new water, as you'd only treat the 25%/50%, rather than the full 90gal?
you only need to add the amount of de-chlorinater for the water you are adding, not the whole tank.

eek i've never added water direct from the hose into the tank when doing water changes, surely that'll kill bacteria in the filter?
they have done tests that show that the chlorine is removed instantly when it mixes with the de-chlorinater

i usually turn off my filter for the 5-10 mins while the water is going in, so no chlorinated water goes through the filter before getting treated. and then turn it back on again afterwards.

i have a filter tap installed in my kitchen sink but I always used dechlorinator lol are u telling me I don't need to?

Most reactions

Back