Changing my 55 gallon tank from gravel to sand, any help would be appreciated.

I have some anacharis but maybe not enough for 30 small fish. The LFS just received some hornwort so I plan on picking up some of that if it is still in stock.
Sounds good.
I have albino cory besides the tetra, I need to pick up a few more once my tank is setup and re-cycled. I have been trying to purchase some fast growing plants to make sure I have enough for a planted cycle. I may have to pick up a bottle of Tetra SafeStart plus to be safe. I have a sponge filter sitting in my fry tank soaking up bacteria.
Even without a shoal of Cory’s, my 10g tank is doing great. No pockets. (That is the tank with 2in of sand)

It’s all up to you, and how you want it to look. :fish:

Sounds good.

Even without a shoal of Cory’s, my 10g tank is doing great. No pockets. (That is the tank with 2in of sand)

It’s all up to you, and how you want it to look. :fish:
How do you know theres no pockets? Most times they arent visible...

How do you know theres no pockets? Most times they arent visible...
I’ve had that tank setup for over 6 months. I have also been observing it closely. Are there some? Maybe... but nothing worth worrying about.

I have had that much sand in all my tanks, if not more. I have had no problems whatsoever.

I am taking the plunge and changing my 55 gallon tank from a UGF and gravel to a sponge filter and sand and any advice would be appreciated before I began.
Sand goes in the bottom. Water goes on top of that.

Now for adding sand, how deep should the sand be? Is there a danger of organic pockets forming in the sand if it is too deep?
Anaerobic zones can form if your substrate is too deep, but if you have healthy, strongly rooted plants that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've gone over 2" deep with soil/sand substrate, and amazon swords especially love the room to really spread out their roots in the muck.

You could have some of your gravel kept in a net in the new setup as it should still have some BB which will assist your recycle. Depends on what you did with the gravel after removal and if it could still have BB

I added a troop of Malaysian Trumpet snails to mine as I understand they're good at burrowing around in the sand and so prevent from any stagnant areas being created.

I added a troop of Malaysian Trumpet snails to mine as I understand they're good at burrowing around in the sand and so prevent from any stagnant areas being created.
I was thinking of MTS since I heard good things about them from fellow members, I had to take a break in my sand cleaning-very hot day.

Yes don't overdo it! Theres no rush ;)

Anaerobic zones can form if your substrate is too deep, but if you have healthy, strongly rooted plants that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've gone over 2" deep with soil/sand substrate, and amazon swords especially love the room to really spread out their roots in the muck.
I have a couple of sword plants, not many. I mostly have ferns and salvinia floating above. I was softening my water with RO and lost most of my anacharis.

You do not want to leave any water in the tank. For one thing, it will be filthy dirty. For another, full of ammonia and possibly worse.

I've done this many, many times. You need to set up a temporary tank for the fish so they can live there, and it is best to plan on a few days just so you won't be rushed. I move the filter and heater to the temp "as is," and put a couple of chunks of wood from the main tank in so the fish won't be stressed as much, and plants can be laid on the surface. Sipon water from the main tank for the temporary, from the top and before you start removing anything. Then move over what is needed, and net over the fish.

Drain the main tank, scoop out all the gravel (it will need to go somewhere...). Wash the tank (water is fine, good chance to clean the back and side panes of algae). Rinse the sand bit by bit, dump it in until you have the level you want. Arrange the hardscape. Then fill the tank with tap water to maybe half, or a little less, and plant the substrate plants. This stirs up the sand, so drain the tank completely when finished and refill with tap water at the desired temp, use conditioner. With the fish in a temp tank you can take your time, and tweak. Net the fish back over, leave all the old water in the temp tank.
Byron said a very important step. Rinse, rinse and rinse the sand a little at a time before adding to tank.

Byron said a very important step. Rinse, rinse and rinse the sand a little at a time before adding to tank.
I rinsed it four times, by the forth time the water was pretty clear. I guess I bought high quality sand, there was only 4 pebbles. I bought the darker play sand.

Most reactions

Back