Changing gravel

Whitey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I wanna change my gravel to like a finer whiter stuff, but do i have to take my fishes out? or can i do it with them inside, choking on the dust an that.

And whats the best way to get the old gravel out without emptying the tank?

i would like to know this aswell, I don't know about you but I have an undergravel filter so I guess thats a bigger problem than with other filters since thats were the bacteria resides :blink:

Yeh could be a problem, iv got an external power filter.

I heard that using a net is a good way to get gravel out?

Well, removing gravel is a serious affair.

If you remove all of it, you completely wipe out you nitrifying bacteria, which poses a potential threat to your fish.

If you do remove the gravel and change, it would be smart to put the new gravel in a separate tank and add 5.0ppm of CLEAR ammonia. let this go through the nitrogen cycle. This will make the trans for your fish safer.

Another thing that would be smart to do:

Buy an advanced, deluxe or whatever type power filter for your tank. these type filters have an aerobic pad that bacteria can attatch to. This will save you any losses, and you won't have to pre-cycle the new gravel BUT you need to buy ammonia, NO2, and NO3 test kits. If ammonia gets to 1.0ppm do a normal water water change. If no2 (nitrite) gets to 0.5ppm, do a water change. After the ammonia and nitrite disappear then watch Nitrates (NO3) for the rest of the tank's life. try to keep those below 40ppm

*note: allow aerobic pad to become grungy and full of bacteria before doing gravel change*

sorry if i gave you info. you already know, just wanted to cover everything.

Nets are good for removing gravel, you do need to remove the fish, and rinse all new gravel well, before adding to keep down gravel dust.

Oh yeah,
something i failed to mention:

If you stir your old gravel up well in the old water and change the gravel w/out removing water, this will save you a lot of bacteria, so don't empty the aquarium's water, but do remove any plants and decor before doing this.

"i would like to know this aswell, I don't know about you but I have an undergravel filter so I guess thats a bigger problem than with other filters since thats were the bacteria resides "

I don't think that you can have sand with a UGF - the sand has a tendency to gather under the filter.

The best way to change from gravel to sand is to do it gradually, 1/4 of the tank at a time with a couple of weeks between each change. Most of your "good" bacteria is in the filter so don't clean the filter until all the gravel is changed and settled. To avoid all the "dust" wash the sand thoroughly before you put it in the tank.

I agree with Gadazobe. Do it gradually over several weeks. Awhile back I changed my gravel in 2 parts over 2 weeks. I have a biowheel filter and lots of ornaments with bacteria so I thought everything would be ok, but I still had a mini-cycle. I didn't lose any fish, but had to do several partial water changes. I think changing the substrate even more gradually would have helped.

gadazobe said:
"i would like to know this aswell, I don't know about you but I have an undergravel filter so I guess thats a bigger problem than with other filters since thats were the bacteria resides "

I don't think that you can have sand with a UGF - the sand has a tendency to gather under the filter.

The best way to change from gravel to sand is to do it gradually, 1/4 of the tank at a time with a couple of weeks between each change. Most of your "good" bacteria is in the filter so don't clean the filter until all the gravel is changed and settled. To avoid all the "dust" wash the sand thoroughly before you put it in the tank.
hmmm ... thanks for your post, but you are quoting me and I never mentioned anything about sand (thats Whitey) :blink: I was wondering about replacing a type of gravel for another type of gravel or for another color... but whatever I know the answer now :)

Could you remove some of the gravel and then put sand over the top and down in front of it (up against the glass so all the gravel is hidden) - would that be ok as my gravel has been in for a year or so

jimw13uk - as sand grains are much smaller than gravel, it would eventually fall inbetween the gravel and you'd end up with the gravel on top and the sand underneath.

Most reactions

Back