Changing Filter Media?

fUbAr

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question, but as i understand it my bacteria live in the media inside my fluval 2+ internal filter. When this media is due a change, surely by renewing the media you also remove the bacteria that are living inside?

Whats the method for replacing all the media in the filter, but still retaining the beneficial bacteria living inside?

many thanks.

I normally rinse mine (sponges and ceramics) in the water i`ve removed from my tank during water change, then put back in filter, don`t use tap water as it can kill the bacteria. If your replacing the media then just replace 1/2 of it and replace other 1/2 next time. Angel

Don't ever replace the media. I know the leaflet that comes with your filter says you should but that's just a ploy to earn more money on the company's part - it's not good for your fish at all and almost inevitably results in deadly ammonia and, subsequently, nitrIte spikes.

In the rare event that you do need to replace it - and by that I mean when it's literally falling apart - change only a little bit at a time. I also have internal fluvals and the easy way to do it there is to buy some more 'sponge' and put it in the middle, between the layers you already have (where the carbon is originaly - I don't use carbon), and remove the others one at a time (replacing as necessary) after a week. This way the new piece can get some of the bacteria before you start replacing either of the others.
I haven't change the media in some of my tanks since they were first set up. One of them has been running for 7 years.

I do suggest rinsing the media out once in a while though and I do it the same way as angelmouse :)

Its not a stupid question at all, I agree with sylvia as long as the sponges are rinced out and don't clog up they work for years,

I have a Fluval Biolife filter and in the booklet it says to replace the Biomax rings every 6 months. Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but surely this is defeating the object of having the rings in the first place. Afterall, they are where the beneficial bacteria grow. There are 2 bags of rings in the chamber - does this mean that I should replace one at a time, every six months? Or would I be better not bothering to replace them atall?
Also, in the booklet it says to replace the carbon every 2 weeks! I would have thought this was quite unnecessary?

My Fluval internal filter has two sponges, so you can change one, and leave the other one still containing the beneficial bacteria. That said, i would only change the media if you absolutely have to. Most filter sponges are quite robust, and shouldn't break apart very quickly, if at all.

I wash my sponges out about once every month, at the same time as a water change so you can use the water you've just removed to squeeze them out in.

I have a Fluval Biolife filter and in the booklet it says to replace the Biomax rings every 6 months. Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but surely this is defeating the object of having the rings in the first place. Afterall, they are where the beneficial bacteria grow. There are 2 bags of rings in the chamber - does this mean that I should replace one at a time, every six months? Or would I be better not bothering to replace them atall?
Also, in the booklet it says to replace the carbon every 2 weeks! I would have thought this was quite unnecessary?

I agree with Sylvia as well; those sponges last for years. The ceramic bio media lasts seemingly forever, I've got filters with ceramic bio media that is several years old. While you can see some deterioration of sponges over time, that ceramic media is as good as new. They are trying to sell you something you don't need.

The same goes for carbon, I only run it to remove meds, or on a new tank & filter to remove any chemicals that may remain from the manufacturing process.

Just what I thought - the Biomax rings don't need replacing every 6 months, if atall.
As for the carbon - well, I've read alot of posts on here from people who don't even use it or, as Tolak says, just to remove meds.
If I remove the carbon, would I put anything in it's place or just leave the area empty?

You could leave it empty, or add a little more floss. Make sure to add only the amount of floss equal to the carbon removed, as overpacked filters slow down, and work less efficiently.

You could leave it empty, or add a little more floss. Make sure to add only the amount of floss equal to the carbon removed, as overpacked filters slow down, and work less efficiently.

Thanks alot Tolak - much appreciated!

Thnaks for all the good advice .....I was religiously replacing the sponge every other month as it says in the booklet....
Now that I<m using a bio wheel filter I<ll have to figure otu a new way to keep the good bacteria growing ....

Most reactions

Back