Chances of platy fry surviving in community tank.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stacey1990

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I've had my platys for quite a few month now and also added a couple of new ones over the last month. One of my first platys has looked pregnant on and off for a while but I never seen any fry so I assume they were eaten. (I was never planning on breeding but was sold a male when I asked for all females).
Anyway, earlier today I noticed something small near the front of my tank and went to inspect. To my amazement, I have 2 little fry swimming around. Like I said I was never planning on breeding but since I have seen them im rooting for them lol.
I dont want to start setting up separate tanks etc so was wondering if anyone had experience of fry surving in the community tank.
I do have live plants and hiding places but I wouldn't say its too well planted if that makes sense.
Tia

Attachments

• 20201212_142835.jpg
    20201212_142835.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 141
Theres a chance a couple will make it just fine. Ive had a few lol

Some or all will make it to adulthood with those hiding spots. Let's wait and see how many will survive.

Theres a chance a couple will make it just fine. Ive had a few lol
I have the same question. I have two fry but not as many plants as they do. I have two small plants and a house as well as a cute little bridge with holes. Should I put them in the big tank and hope for the best or keep them in the separate tank?

I have the same question. I have two fry but not as many plants as they do. I have two small plants and a house as well as a cute little bridge with holes. Should I put them in the big tank and hope for the best or keep them in the separate tank?
The best chances are always in a separate tank if thats an available option

I have had several survive, just had one in a tank full of guppies that made it to adulthood too. Having plenty of hiding places helps a lot.

Ok so just a quick update about the fry. I've now counted at least 5 ?. A couple of them look younger than the other 3 so I'm presuming more than 1 fish has given birth.
What do people do if they end up with lots more fish than expected.

I have given them away, just gave a young girl living down the street 6 of my platys that were fry and grew big enough for her to have in her community tank.

As I posted a while back bought 2 platies at the beginning of the year now have about thirty in a 3ft tank with some guppies - managed to give a few away but could do with getting rid of some more or I will be overstocked. Dont seem to have any problem surviving.

I'm getting a bit worried. I counted 6 fry the last time I looked. Im trying to get rid of the male but not having much luck.

If you have enough hiding spots, they will be fine. Some may become food. It really depends on what you want to do. At first, you want to save them all. When you have 300 little.fishies a.few months later, you learn why nature do what it do...

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm already getting worried lol. I've found someone with a 5 foot tank so I think he's going to take the male and the fry for me ?.

So I've had my platys for quite a few month now and also added a couple of new ones over the last month. One of my first platys has looked pregnant on and off for a while but I never seen any fry so I assume they were eaten. (I was never planning on breeding but was sold a male when I asked for all females).
Anyway, earlier today I noticed something small near the front of my tank and went to inspect. To my amazement, I have 2 little fry swimming around. Like I said I was never planning on breeding but since I have seen them im rooting for them lol.
I dont want to start setting up separate tanks etc so was wondering if anyone had experience of fry surving in the community tank.
I do have live plants and hiding places but I wouldn't say its too well planted if that makes sense.
Tia
I would go out and but a breeding net and once you get that try to net them and put them in the breeding net

Most reactions

Back