Ch4Rlies First High Tech Planted Tank Atttempt!

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Good news about the shoots - hope you manage to get the right balance to keep the algae under control!

Yeah, its finding that sweet spot of balance thats the tricky bit!  :lol:

Thanks 

I am new to adding ferts and have only low tech plants at the moment - java fern, anubias, salvinia, marimo moss balls not all in the same tank.
Can you recommend a low tech CO2 method? I certainly don't want to start with fire extinguishers or the like! lol

Liquid carbon is the lowest tech way to get carbon into plants and probably the best way to get started.  Then there's CO2 via yeast fermentation but frankly it's a lot of faff to get working efficiently!  A pressurized CO2 kit would be the next step up, but expensive.

Thank you both. I'll give both suggestions some thought and do some research.
I'm not sure I have the room for a yeast set-up, Ch4rlie, but thanks for the suggestion!
Liquid is looking attractive at this point as it is more flexible and not tank specific. I have 3 (or will have when the 3rd one has cycled) 

The only drawbacks of liquid carbon is that some plants don't like it, e.g. vallisneria will melt.  Also I wouldn't recommend it in tanks with shrimp (that's the main reason I don't use it on 2 of my 3 tanks).

Thanks daize! I'll PM you my questions if that's ok as I don't want to hog Ch4rlie's thread! Soz Ch4rlie!

Shrimp are fine with Liquid carbon dosed at the recommended levels :)  Your tank's looking very good Ch4rlie!  Algae on glass looks a bit like dust algae sometimes due to very bright lighting advise to leave it to grow out for several weeks (3-4) without doing any cleaning of the glass then after cleaning instantly carry out a large volume water change. If that fails 1st time try again after a further few weeks, if still NG may have to just rely on daily cleans

KirkyArcher said:
Your tank's looking very good Ch4rlie!  

Thank you :)

KirkyArcher said:
Algae on glass looks a bit like dust algae sometimes due to very bright lighting advise to leave it to grow out for several weeks (3-4) without doing any cleaning of the glass then after cleaning instantly carry out a large volume water change. If that fails 1st time try again after a further few weeks, if still NG may have to just rely on daily cleans

Excellent tip, but not have heard of this method before. Certainly worth a try but what to look out for in 3-4 weeks? will the algae go away or just stop growing then wipe off etc.

Thanks Kirky

Looks fab, really enjoying your posts.  I've just set up a tank after about 10 years without and finding it hard to take it slow, but just manging :) 

Looking into a Co2 setup for the future once i've sorted my current tank.

Keep the posts coming.

Wingnuts.

Time for an update!

Not all been going according to plan unfortunately! 

529b78e6-73a6-4984-a658-421e189f9176_zps0e0b659b.jpg

This hair algae has grown in only 2 days, such a horrible algae but at same time had a elegant grace swaying in the tank!

So now have made a couple of changes, not least the new spray bar the eagle-eyed amongst you may have spotted on left side of tank.

That DIY spraybar was added as thought the flow from the powerhead at rear left of the tank was not providing even flow throughout the tank, so with this spray bar the nozzles are pointing to left glass and pointing at slight angle downwards, the flow should be more like this 

8ca07970-faeb-4060-a012-317391b7cff9_zpsd79bc6e3.jpg

Really hoping this spray bar will also help with co2 diffusion as I also moved the co2 diffuser in the filter compartment at rear directly underneath the powerhead in hope it will spray out co2 through the spray bar.

So, after quite a while cleaning the tank of as much hair algae i could remove, a toothbrush for this is a really good tool.

Also added filter floss in the sponge compartment in hope will get more finer particles from the tank water.

After cleaning

IMG_1227_zps5c7a7e3c.jpg

Had to take out some of the carpet plants to rinse in old tank water to get rid of the hair algae and replanted, again!

Now the plan, leave LED lights on for 6 hours daily, a week of no adding EI ferts, daily 50 - 75% water changes, co2 to continue as is.

After a week, will start dosing 5ml EI ferts every 2 days (micro one day then macro other day), then 2 days no ferts dosing and so on and so forth.

Really hope the plants will start to show more growth and health.

Time will tell. But think a bit more tweaking may be required to find that balance that works.

Whoever said doing a nano planted tank is no easy task, was absolutely correct! 
nugget.gif

Hair algae won this battle, lets hope i will win it the end!
smile.png

Looks interesting Ch4rlie! Hope you've conquered the beast!

Most reactions

Back