Cat Drinking Out Of Tank

Only problem you might have is if you're medicating your cat. I have lost an entire tank of invertebrates to flea medication that was on the cat. 
bye2.gif

silenthawk2x3 said:
Only problem you might have is if you're medicating your cat. I have lost an entire tank of invertebrates to flea medication that was on the cat. 
bye2.gif

Oh boy!

That was an bit of extreme bad luck there! Must say you probably learned from that and not let your cat anywhere near your tank anymore!

Thats an excellent tip actually as my GF loves cats and may get one someday! Will remember that!

of course not it has no effect on the aquarium and the animals love it it's like natural water

well cat hair can get in the water,and i dont think animals have a prefered water.

I used to have a 5 gallon betta tank on the back of the kitchen table, against a 1/2 wall. My sister's cat would sit on the ledge behind the tank and drink out of the gap between the filter and the hood. When I moved the betta tank and set up my saltwater tank on the table, he quickly learned that it was NOT for drinking. That still doesn't stop him from sticking his face behind the tank and terrifying my poor clownfish.

My younger cat likes sticking her paw into the tank. I stopped that quick. 

so wait nobody here has a hood for there aquarium? because noone of my tanks with hood dont have anything but a feeding hole.. maybe this is with fluval tanks?

My tank has a cover but there is a gap about 6x2 inches for the filter hoses and heater in the back and he sticks his head right in there!

I use my tank water for fertilizer for my plants, would I have to dispose of the water some other way to prevent animal death if i ever did medicate?

Both of my aquariums have hoods. I take the hood off of one because its a sheet of glass while the other one I can flip up a part of to feed.

All of my tanks are open topped (need to be in our climate, and also because 99% of them are second hand). My older cat loves fish food but doesn't go out of her way to drink the fish tank water, but she does drink out of my pond and old bath tub that doubles as a pond. So do the dogs, in fact that is one of the reasons I am for ever topping up the bath tub, thanks to the dogs gulping he water down.

My younger cat (he will be 2 in April) is a total fish tank addict. He does the rounds of my various tanks sampling the water in all of them. He sits on the tanks glass centre support dangles his paws in the tank, lays his tail across the surface of the water and has a good long drink. The endlers in the tank invariable think he is feeding them so they all swarm about it tongue, paws and tail. He is also fish food mad as is one of my dogs.

In the act of moving from one tank to the next one.

The main reasons pets will drink all the water they can out of toilet bowls, fish tanks, ponds, puddles etc is that they just like our fish don't like all the additives that we humans put into our drinking water to make it "safe"

And just to prove that my cat is a bit of a nut job

To get on the timber door he rockets up the front security screen door.
Cats got to love them
laugh.png

Most reactions

Back