Can't Keep Plecos Alive

rockin302

Reaction score
OK, here's the problem. I've purchased 3 plecos within a 6 month period and they've all died within 2-3 days of putting them in the tank. :(

I acclimated them by floating the bags in the tank for 15-20 minutes and then I slowly introduce some tank water into the bag and let it float another 15-20 minutes. Finally, I strain out the water in the bag and let the pleco out.

The tank is well established with mostly tetras (neons, rasboras, lamp eye) and 3 julii cats. The tank is well planted with some algae growth. I have a sand mixed with gravel substrate and the PH of the tank is acidic, like 6.0-6.2. All of the fish seem to do fine except these plecos so I'm at a lost as to what's going wrong. I just tested the tank for Nitrate and ammonia and they're all normal.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the substrate (sand?). I've heard people mention dead spots??

Any help is appreciated

how big is your tank anyways?

did you buy common plecos, they can grow to over 2 feet

if you put salt in your aquarium it can burn them because they do not have scales *i heard that*

maybe they are stressed out, try adding pvc pipe in there for places to hide, add caves

maybe they are not getting enough good, try putting in some vege's or some algae tablets

Ask the lfs where you purchase these fish what their water parameters are. Your pH is pretty low, it may be a problem with pH shock. If there is a big difference you will probably have to drip acclimate them.

I'm wondering if I'm not properly cleaning the tank and maybe that's why the plecos are dying. I thought they we're pretty hardy fish.

All the other tetras and catfish seem to be doing fine.

I usually don't do a complete cleaning of my tank, just water changes. I don't clean the Sand/gravel substrate I have because I don't want to uproot all the plants. Do you think the lack of gravel cleaning could be a cause death?

What types of plecs are we talking about? Many popular L numbers are well known for not acclimatising well and dying on being put into a new tank (Gold Nuggets being a good example). I would recommend getting the LFS to hold newly in plecs for a couple of weeks to watch it and check it's eating well regularly before taking one home.

If it's more hardy species such as commons, gibbies, etc, then TBH I'm not sure why they're dying on you. Sorry. :blush:

I had a Green Phantom for a while and then died a few days after adding API Melafix. After that I couldn't keep Plecs, so I knew that there was still some Melafix (which contains Methlyene Blue, which kills plecs) in the tank. I put in a carbon pad to get rid of it for 2 weeks and tried with another Plec. Sucess, she didn't die and to this day she's still alive and well.

I'm pretty sure they were common pleco's. I did remember that they had sunken bellies so something was probably wrong.

I just cleaned out the tank and letting it cycle again so I'm going to give it another shot but this time I'm going to try some oto's.

I'm pretty sure they were common pleco's. I did remember that they had sunken bellies so something was probably wrong.

I just cleaned out the tank and letting it cycle again so I'm going to give it another shot but this time I'm going to try some oto's.

It could be a number of factors (like ph shock which Tolak suggested);
a. Ask the shop you get your fish from their PH; if the ph at the shop is very different from the ph in your tank, this can make it very difficult to acclimatise fish succesfully to a tank particually if they are not in the best of health (i.e. under weight, very stressed, sick etc).

b. Test your tank for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates- your current fish may be fine, but fish can become accustomed to things in a tank, but can take quite some time getting customed to for a new fish. If your nitrates are above 40, or you have any ammonia in the tank, you should increase how often you do water changes and things to the tank.
In a healthy tank ammonia and nitrites should always be 0, while nitrates preferably under 40.

c. You may not want to disturb your plants but they will be fine being temporarily uprooted and then replanted so you can clean the subtrate they grow on. Cleaning your substrate is very important for two reasons;

1. Gravel traps rotting waste very easily, wether it be dying plant matter or fish poop etc. Fish waste and rotting matter creates ammonia and can upset even the most established of filtration systems if not dealt with on a regular basis- filters will take out a great deal of waste, but cannot do the job by themselves entirely.
The filters main purpose is to grow benneficial bacteria on its sponge/s which breaks down toxins like nitrites and ammonia, but it can become overloaded if there is too much to deal with.

2. Sand can harbor anerobic bacteria and gases in it, which when left to build up in large quantities can leak out from the sand in bubbles and poisen the fish (note when you clean sand you sometimes see bubbles coming out of the undisturbed area's).
To prevent this happening on a dangerous level you should clean your sand regually- if you have both sand and gravel you will have to deal with both of these problems, so regardless of how much you love your plants in their current position you should clean your substrate at least once every 2weeks, but preferably once a week :nod: .

Because plecos live right down at the bottom most of their time, you should keep your tank substrate especially clean. From a pleco or cory (or any other bottom dwelling fish) point of view, it would be a bit like us sleeping in a soiled bed and eating off dirty plates otherwise. Just like us, fish are far more likely to get sick from living in less than clean conditions (even if your water looks sparkling clean, there may still be issues with it or the tank).

A lot of people assume if a fish is hardy then all of its type will be hardy no matter what the situation or circumstances, but stressful conditions can wear down even the toughest.
Many fish that arrive in lfs (local fish store) or lps may have been up to 8hrs or more in transport constantly when they arrive at the shop, only to be quickly acclimatise and dumped in a small, overstocked tank.
They may be put with fish they are not compatable with, or deseases may already be spreading quickly in their numbers from the stressful conditions and crowding.
Many fish can often be half starved (particually smaller fish due to their shorter guts, or baby fish due to their high energy needs) on arival.
Some lfs only wait a couple of hours before they sell the fish after arival, where the fish could then be transported to the buyers tank in god knows what conditions or length of time. Sometimes, this is just too much for the fish and they die shortly afterwards or over a period of days.

You mentioned the plecs you bought had sunken bellies- this could be one of two things or both;
a. Many baby or half grown plecs are starved from transport when they arive at lfs, and usually do not have enough time to put on a decent amount of weight before being sold- stress and shock kills fish particually when their health isn't good.

b. There are plenty of deseases and ills that effect fish that can cause a sunken belly, but Internal Parasites is a nasty desease that causes this symptom in particular and is becomming increasingly more common in the aquarium hobby. It can be cured but only with medicines (particualy Levamisole) obtained by perscription from a vet, it is very rarely ever sold in petshops (not at all in the UK i think).

My advice to you is to clean your tank more regually and thoroughly and buy some accurate test kits for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates (not the paper strip test kits, but test tube ones as these tend to be more accurate) :nod : .
You should do a 20-30% water change or 40-60% water change (depending on what fish you have and how many and so forth) once a week (making sure to add dechlorinator/water conditioner), and clean the tank filter out once every 1-3 weeks (depending on the tanks stocking). You should clean your substrate once every 1-2 weeks either via a gravel vac/syphon or with your hands, a net and water changes(stirring up the subtrate, netting out any waste, and then doing a water change).

Thirdly, when you buy a plec you should ask what the lfs PH is as if it is very different to yours you will have to acclimatise the fish much, much longer and more gently (even then ph shock could still effect them). If their plecs don't look very well (underweight, pale in color, damaged fins, cotton growths, complete lack of activity or willingness to eat etc) you should eitheravoid them or ask your lfs to hold them for a week or so, feeding them well, before you get them (as they may just be stressed and under fed from transport).

How many gallons is your tank :) ?

Wow! That was a lot of information but very helpful Tokis! I have a 29 gallon long and so far the cycling for the tank has been going well. I tested the PH yesterday and it was about 6.5-6.7. I have the aquarium pharmaceuticals master freshwater test kit and everything seems to be going fine as well. I forgot to mention that I saved 10 gallons of my old water and mixed that in with the brand new water I have in the tank.

I also added some microbe-blend bacteria and seachem Neutral regulator to speed up the cycling process. I have some plants in the tank, anubias nana, amazons, riccia, and a few other low-height plants that I can't name.

Running an aquaclear 200 and a dirt magnet

I had a Green Phantom for a while and then died a few days after adding API Melafix. After that I couldn't keep Plecs, so I knew that there was still some Melafix (which contains Methlyene Blue, which kills plecs) in the tank. I put in a carbon pad to get rid of it for 2 weeks and tried with another Plec. Sucess, she didn't die and to this day she's still alive and well.

Is this true? I thought Melafix was an all natural product, like Pimafix?

Im sure it does but I could be wrong :/ You'd have to ask API or someone who knows alot about medications.
All i know is that it killed several plecs of mine.

I really don't think it would have been the Melafix. Someone on a pleco website recommended that I use this. I'm pretty sure it's a natural product?

Anyone else heard that this has Methylene Blue?

Melafix as far as I know is just tea tree oil. Are you sure it wasn't another med (eg. Myxazin by Waterlife - not sure if that has it in?).

However, natural doesn't mean gentle and this isnt the first time I've heard of deaths with Melafix and Pimafix.

Most reactions

Back