Canister Filter Media Placement

powerdyne6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have been using an Oase Biomaster 350 on my tank since it was setup.

What are your recommendations on Media/Foam placement throughout the filter?

I have a pre filter section that can house 5 cylindrical pieces of foam (I think I have a 60 PPi foam in this area). Also inside the filter are 5 trays for more media. I run 2 layers of coarse foam (30PPi I think) then 2 laters of Fluval Bio media balls. Then the last layer is a 60ppi foam I believe.

What is the proper order for this and should I change some of the foam out?

Thanks

I've never used a canister but, if possible, I would clean rather replace to keep as much of the good bacteria as possible. If you can clean do so in water removed during water changes.

I've never used a canister but, if possible, I would clean rather replace to keep as much of the good bacteria as possible. If you can clean do so in water removed during water changes.
I am only looking to replace the pre filter section to optimize flow. I want to go to a more coarser foam.

The other media will be staying. I am mostly looking for opinions on media placement throughout the canister. Basically which order I should have it all placed.

Oh, OK, The way I read your initial post I thought that you wanted to replace everything. Like I said I've never used a canister but my guess would be to have the most course by the intake and then progress to the finest being the last. The course takes out the big stuff followed my the medium taking out most of the rest with the fine grabbing the leftovers. That just makes sense to me as, if the finest were first, there would be nothing for the other levels to get and the finest would clog much quicker.

I am only looking to replace the pre filter section to optimize flow. I want to go to a more coarser foam.

The other media will be staying. I am mostly looking for opinions on media placement throughout the canister. Basically which order I should have it all placed.
This may interest you: http://greatwaveeng.com/oase/

Most reactions

Back