Can you use plain vinegar to clean calcium stains off a tank?

enfiskejer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a lot of calcium in my water and I know that vinegar lowers the ph of water but if I'm using only a small amount just above the water level on a piece of cloth/paper towel will it be fine and not effect my fish?
The stains are really ugly!

Yes you can use white or apple cidar vinegar to wipe he calcium off. However, you normally need to soak the calcium for a few hours to dissolve it. You can try using a single sided razorbllade to scrape the calcium off the glass.

Back to my plastic scrubbies. Cheap.

1648220592894.png

A spray bottle, some cleaning strength white vinegar, a tooth brush, and time will be your best friends in getting the hard water mineral deposits off. Spray the entire inside of it and let it soak for a good long while. Keep it wet with vinegar, don’t let it dry. Then scrub it scrub it scrub it.

If you have a bare tank, will CLR work? I've tried the vinegar soak and scrub, but deposits remain.

Yes CLR should work in empty tanks. Just rinse it out after.

Yes you can use white or apple cidar vinegar to wipe he calcium off. However, you normally need to soak the calcium for a few hours to dissolve it. You can try using a single sided razorbllade to scrape the calcium off the glass.
So it won't affect the fish in the tank? :)

Vinegar is simply an acid liquid and will be diluted in the water.

As long as you don't pour the vinegar in the tank, the fish will be fine.

If a couple of drops of vinegar end up in the tank, the fish will be fine.

Most reactions

Back