Can you have too many tannins?

Pidge1992

Reaction score
So I soaked my new drift wood (mopani) for several days until it seemed they where giving off fewer tannins...apparently not long enough because it looks like someone dumped a package of tea bags into my tank. I’ve seriously brewed tea a lighter color... so my question is, can there be too many tannins in water? Fish seem to like but and I know as a general rule of thumb they don’t hurt but is there such a thing as too much?

(side note, these are all the fish I dewormed/parasite treated last week, everyone did great and are happy back in the big tank, I just replaced their plastic log with real driftwood while they where out)

Some fish prefer more tannins in the water and I don't think most will mind. I don't think there is a rule about tannins, or how much of it should be in the water column. It depends on the fish and your preference.
A picture would help.

Depends on the species. A lot of fish love tannins.

Here is a quick photo I snapped... as for the fish I have Buenos Aires tetras, black skirt tetras, dwarf scissor tail rasboras, 2 variety’s of pleco, and a yo-yo loach.
E3D6E20B-04E2-4754-BBF6-26F506953458.jpeg

If the water is too dark to see the fish, then you have too many tannins in it because you can't see the fish. Apart from that it's fine to have tannins in the water.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure. And some floating plants like Water Sprite would help too.

Most reactions

Back