Can They Live Together - Ruby Sharks And ?

Hi
are ruby sharks ok with small tetras and barbs please?

usually yes, but this is provided the fish is housed in a suitably sized aquarium,
if the tank is not 200L plus you are going to have a problem

hi, the tank is 48x12x15 (35 gallon)

im reading that the ruby sharks (unlike the red tail) are peaceful towards smaller fish
i have some neons and small tetras in my tank

will they be ok?

plenty of hiding places for teh shark

hi, the tank is 48x12x15 (35 gallon)

im reading that the ruby sharks (unlike the red tail) are peaceful towards smaller fish
i have some neons and small tetras in my tank

will they be ok?

plenty of hiding places for teh shark

I wouldn't say they are peaceful, but yes they are usually less aggressive, but still territorial none the less,

Your tank is a good length which may be a bonus, but being very narrow it is still quite a small tank overall and so you may have a problem in the future, but it would entirely depend on the personality of the shark you choose.

small tetras are usually ok with them just be sure to avoid anything that has a similar shape such as RTB sharks, SAE's FF's and some of th emore streamlined barbs as these will no doubt cause extra aggression

I have one of these Ruby/Rainbow sharks. Have had him since very little and he's now over 4" long (had him about a year). When I first got him he was very peaceful for a few weeks but then the aggression started to show and he earned himself the appropriate nickname of Billy the Bully! I had to buy another tank to set up and eventually moved him into that with his female guppy friend (she was the ONLY fish he didn't bully - he hated the beautiful male guppies but the boring female he seemed quite happy with LOL).

I then did a bit of further rearranging and for the last 6 months or so he has been in the 3ft tank with my two short-bodied pink convicts. He wouldn't dare bully them! In fact, he's scared of them, if anything, even though they are smaller.

I wouldn't consider Rainbow Sharks good community tank members as they are just so territorial and will chase other fish away from their patch and the other fish end up stressed out a lot of the time. You might get lucky and end up with one that is a bit more placid than mine - but if not, do you have a spare tank to do some re-shuffling if need be?

Athena

Most reactions

Back