Can Some One Help Me Please?

A quick calc shows that you would need about 11 ml to raise a 60 US gallon tank to 5 ppm. If that is what you are working with, I would try maybe 6 ml and if you get about 2.5 ppm on a test you will have confirmation that the 11 is right for the concentration you have. I used a nominal 9.5% because that is the most commonly available. You only add this dose once. After that you add a portion of that amount when you want to bring things back to 5 ppm. As an example, if you measure the tank at 1 ppm and want to bring it back to 5, you figure yopu already have a fifth of what you need and the other 4/5 becomes about 8 ml. It won't be exact but it will be close enough to get your bacteria established. There is no point in using 3 decimals for the calculation and then using a test where it is hard to tell 3 from 4.

A quick calc shows that you would need about 11 ml to raise a 60 US gallon tank to 5 ppm. If that is what you are working with, I would try maybe 6 ml and if you get about 2.5 ppm on a test you will have confirmation that the 11 is right for the concentration you have. I used a nominal 9.5% because that is the most commonly available. You only add this dose once. After that you add a portion of that amount when you want to bring things back to 5 ppm. As an example, if you measure the tank at 1 ppm and want to bring it back to 5, you figure yopu already have a fifth of what you need and the other 4/5 becomes about 8 ml. It won't be exact but it will be close enough to get your bacteria established. There is no point in using 3 decimals for the calculation and then using a test where it is hard to tell 3 from 4.

Totally agree with this, this is the way I tend to do it. Work out the ml needed, putting in a bit less, check the result, and then scale it. Of course if you don't know the concentration of your ammonia it's a bit trickier, but either this or the bucket method works well, it just depends on what works best for you.
I would DEFINITLY recommend asking your local chemist for a medicine syringe though, I sometimes lose count when doing the water tests, so the idea of counting many many drops of ammonia sounds scary to me, it's a lot easier to just syringe it in :)

Most reactions

Back