Can I Add Fish, Then Plant Later?

• Thread starter Deleted member 55926
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 55926

Hey guys,

I could really do with some advice within the next 4 hours!

So my fishless cycle is done, but I have a dilemma. Today being the weekend, it's my only chance to go to the LFS, probably for the next 2 weeks. I wanted specific plants, but I am 90% sure the LFS won't have some of them. My question is, can I add some plants today, add fish tomorrow, then order more plants to come during the week?

i.e. How do I plant the rest of the plants later on, when I have fish in the tank? Do the fish need to be removed while planting, and where do I put them to minimise shock/stress? If so, how long after finishing planting can you put them back in?

yes, you can add some plants today and more later, you can also plant when fish are in the tank, maybe not if you have piranhas.

I don't see why not. Just plant when you do a large water change, so that the water level is down and you can access the substrate better. I personally would remove the fish--drain tank water into a clean bucket or rubbermaid-type container and gently net up the fish and transfer them. Plant, refill your tank, and as soon as the substrate is settled net the fish back in.

yes, just go ahead and plant away to your hearts content. Get some ferts as well while you're there. I wouldn't empty your tank of fish.

Most reactions

Back