Can ghost shrimp breed in freshwater

Ya i guess that you can never have too many shrimp they are realley cool.

And ghosts are great! If you try out the java moss, you may get lucky with a couple surviving shrimplets from them.

I had a good group of ghosts months back, but sadly they dont often live too long. I got 2 old girls left. After the lockdown, i am getting a new group again.

Great at cleaning scraps and theyre fun to watch. Always comical seeing them steal away a full wafer just for themselves right from under the fishs faces lol

Amano shrimp can produce eggs in freshwater, but they will never hatch. Amano eggs will only hatch in brackish, saltwater. (Much like nerite snail eggs)
This isn't necessarily true. They will hatch, they just won't live long, and they will be so small that you won't notice them. They can live anywhere from a few days to a week in freshwater before they die off.
How long do they live?
Usually about a year.

Few months to a year with ghosts. Maaayyybe longer if you are lucky. But theyre very short lived.

Ive had my two old girls now going now for about 9 months... and they were already full grown when i got them, so at least 2 months old when i bought them.

My ghost was a year old, and then we went to NZ for 3 months. Our pet sitter who was knowledgeable got sick and our friend who took over didnt clean the tank or even top up the water. Came back and one guppy had died. The shrimp was thriving. He lived another 3 months after that :)

I have a variety of shrimp in my tank and eggs colouration is different on each type. Depends on the genes and kind of shrimp I spose.

Most reactions

Back