Can Discus Go With A Male Betta?

Are we accounting for seasonal fluctuations?

24*C is probably perfectly fine for a few months in the wild where water conditions are otherwise totally perfect and they can eat the food they specifically evolved to eat. In aquarium conditions all year round it would be silly to try IMO.

28*C or 29*C arent far off and should be no problem at all, they have been fine kept at 28*C for over 6 months in the planted tank at my LFS.

I think a betta would be a great addition to a discus tank :p.

Yeah I was suprised to see the actual temps they're at in the wild, next time I get some discus I think I'll try it out lower.

Cheesy, would definitley be a good experiment. My hypothesis is that they end up with Ick, or possibly other diseases due to being stressed. Domestic discus are far far different then wild Discus at this stage.
What puzzle's me is that I've never heard of anyone advising to keep wilds under 29C.That is what I've heard, that discus need high temps or else they are more susceptible to diseases, having a weaker immune system.Maybe the higher temps prevent the diseases from living themselves, as I know treating white spot at higher temps can increase its life cycle, meaning it will die off quicker.
Are we accounting for seasonal fluctuations?

24*C is probably perfectly fine for a few months in the wild where water conditions are otherwise totally perfect and they can eat the food they specifically evolved to eat. In aquarium conditions all year round it would be silly to try IMO.

28*C or 29*C arent far off and should be no problem at all, they have been fine kept at 28*C for over 6 months in the planted tank at my LFS.

I think a betta would be a great addition to a discus tank :p.
Yeah it the general consensus seems to be that 28C-30C is the best temps for discus, and I've never before heard that wilds should specifically be kept lower...Yet in Heiko Blehers (sp) study he recorded much lower temps throughout the year, I think (will have to double check in the mag and will post it).

Maybe the higher temps prevent the diseases from living themselves, as I know treating white spot at higher temps can increase its life cycle, meaning it will die off quicker.

Most definitley. It is virtually impossible for Discus to get Ich if they are kept in the correct/accepted temperature. Back in the day, people would boost temperatures to the mid 90sF, and this would a lot of times, kill most parasites. On that note, lowering pH to VERY acidic (around 4.0) will kill of almost anything, and is great for killing off bacterias. Maybe this is why Discus are more susceptible to disease, as they don't have to worry about it so much going through these extremes. Just a thought anyways...

Most reactions

Back