Camallanus. AGAIN!!

Given the different meds that are available/unavailable in each country, it could be really handy to have a list of these meds, their active ingredients, and what they treat, perhaps sorted by country or by the illness as a pinned comment perhaps? Something easily linked to when people are asking for medication advice.
That sort of exists in the following link, under section 3.

That sort of exists in the following link, under section 3.
Brilliant, thank you!

I love that article for explaining worming, especially because you go into depth about cleaning the tank walls and filters/equipment etc. Would it be okay to steal sections and edit them into another shorthand medication only document please? Would of course give credit and have you proof read first!

I was thinking of something more like a reference for those of us helping someone in another country who doesn't have access to the same medications, and also having sections for other illnesses, like fin rot (with a note that the medications should only be used in severe cases or where improved cleaning and water changes haven't resolved the issue) so the info was easily available. Like I know there are different meds available in the US and Canada (or lack of antibiotics, in the UK and Canada's case) and in Aus.

@Essjay For sure, we would definitely need input from people in different countries! The idea just occurred to me, and wondered whether anyone else thought it might be useful?

One thing I was advised to try is Potassium Permanganate. I've never used it for aquarium fish so I did a little reading. After a little searching, I found a rather hard to understand scientific test using PP on fish. Apparently, the PP was completely ineffective and, from what I could understand, caused harm to the fish. I'm desperately trying to find it again so I can add a link in case anyone cleverer than I (see everyone) can decipher it. I did manage to understand that the fish which were introduced to Camallanus and treated with PP all died and it also affected their slime coat.

I also found another topic that debunked Camallanus is introduced via live foods such as bloodworm and tubifex. I'll post links as soon as I find the sites.

Cheers.

Edit.... Debunking live foods. https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-12-1-camallanus/

Another edit... PP tests. https://veterinaryresearch.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13567-015-0215-y

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back