Calcium Issue

garry_boyd3

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,

After some discussions with Tina, I found out I was using the wrong type of salt & over the past month I have changed it all with water changes, however my Calcium levels are still low. Before discussing with you guys on here last month the LFS said I had an issue with calcium & sold me purple up (I have been told its expensive). I am not using it after a quick discussion on here. however my calcium seems to be staying about 380, obvioulsy I need it to rise. I ahve had all other tests dones by my LFS to make sure all my other reading are going well. Can anyone suggest anything. Many thanks.

if its just your calcium that is low you can buffer just calcium.

It is not so important right away if you are only keeping soft coral though.
You need to get a full set of your own test kits so you can monitor everything first before you start buffering anything.

Hi. here is what I am testing for & my results:

Sg 1.026
Temp 24
PH 8.2
Nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 5
Calcium 380
Copper 0
KH 9
PO 0

What other tests should I be doing. Any suggestion on which calcium buffer to get?

Many thank.

Test for Magnesium aswell. Alk (KH), Mag and Calcium have a relationship within the marine aquarium.

You will need to stabilise all three. I am using Reef builder (you can use bicarb) for Alk and Reef Complete for Calcium Magnesium and strontium. Going to be switching soon, Reef complete will cost too much in a larger tank.

You may find your Mag is little low. Get this tested and let us know what that is.

Thanks Tina. Magnesium test kit ordered & on its way. Will put reply up when I have tested.

I'd probibly look to up that KH before dosing Ca if you want to go to the top end with it (450ppm) but that's just me (Most run the KH at about 12dKH for a hard coral/mixed reef) HOWEVER, check the Mg before you dose with KH or Ca, as MG is probibly more important than the other two as regards to keeping the stats stable :nod:

Thanks Rabbut, Magnesium test kit will be here tomorrow (hopefully). Will post results for KH, MG & CA. I have started to prepare, I have got some boi-Calcium, may pop to get some Magnesium & stuff for KH (any suggestions). I promiseI won't use any till I have spoken to you guys :good: But having it as a precausion. Do you guys use the TMC additives or salifert?

I use salifert liquid additives mainly and tropic marin Mg as it dissolves very quickly into the water....wouldnt add anything yet til pistol sorts itself mate...excess strontium especially can force shrimp into premature moults

Seffie has just started to use TMC.

Some people buy the chemicals themselves that will deal with the levels. You can use Bicarb of soda for Alk, can work out cheaper.

Rabutt is very good on the chemicals and amounts you will need to use.

If you have a small tank, the TMC should not work out too expensive. You could also buy from Muzzy at Tank Tests.

Ps..always test first before adding anything and raise any levels slowly over a couple of days if need be...sudden rise in any component can cause havoc in your tank

I don't use either. I use Topic Marine for the 70 trace element part of my Mg supplement, and which ever brand of dry powder Calcium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate, Magnesium Chloride and Magnesium Sulphate happens to be cheapest at the time I run out, provided it is pure stuff. BigC will be able to give a link to a proper on-line Aquarium dealer that will have each though. From that loverly mix of chemicals, I make my own supplements according to the Balling method :good: I can make a 2l pop bottle that is as concerntrated as any off the shelf Alkalinity mix for about £1-£2. The off the shelf stuff will be 500ml and about £14-99 :lol:

The TMC Bio-Calcium is good, containing Calcium, "Micro" and Trace elements, but no other Macro elements (Alk/Mg...).

All the best
Rabbut

Purple up is sat in the box never been used. As said will test when kit arrives & post here & you guys can give me a shopping list from there. Thanks for all your help.

Big C can you send me the link Rabbut is on about thanks.

*Rabbut decides to dig deep into his PM in-box to find the PM from BigC mentioned earlier...* PM found, will now PM you the link ;)

Most reactions

Back