Byron Update

I'm so sad to hear! I'd been remembering Byron and all the help he's given me recently, hoping for his recovery. I wouldn't be half the fish keeper I am today without him or his knowledge.

Do you guys think it would be weird if we signed him a digital thank you card? Those of us who wanted to, could leave a short message and let him know how much he's done for us and the hobby 😥
Maybe a relative or friend could read it to him, or print it out for him if we did

such horrible news to hear, thank you so much for keeping us updated @AbbeysDad. Byron was always a huge help around the forum his knowledge was immense. i remember him helping me out when i first joined years ago. I will be praying for the family. :(

As many of you know, Byron Hoskins has been my friend for many years as we were both moderators on another fish forum years ago. As a matter of fact, when a new company took over that forum and I was expelled without cause, Byron left in protest on my behalf...cementing a lifelong ,albeit long distance, friendship.
Also as most know, Byron has been fighting the good fight against cancer for years. I have just heard from his cousin in the U.K....I'm afraid this report is not good.
Byron was doing an immunotherapy and having some success, but stopped last July as the side effects were unbearable... so he chose quality of life over longevity. After experiencing some cognitive issues, it was determined recently that the cancer had migrated to his brain. He fell recently and broke his hip and the cancer prohibited repair. He is in the hospital and will shortly be transferred to an adjacent hospice facility. The end is near for my dear friend.
I know that so many of the old timers here will continue to miss Byron's words of wisdom on fish keeping and that his journey with us all is nearly over.
He'll never really be gone as long as there are those of us that remember him fondly. Still this is all very sad. 😒

I've been anticipating and dreading this news... I've been checking when both of you were last here, and worried!

Byron is so dear to my heart, he means a lot to me too, even if long-distance...

I don't even know what to say. I'm crying typing this, he has been such a wise teacher here, such a good heart and a brilliant mind. Aging and cancer are so cruel.

I'm wishing him peace, comfort, acceptance, and love, and that his passing is as pain free as possible. If someone can pass a message from us, or if we can send anything to the hospice for him, is that possible? I want him to know that his wisdom has been immortalised here, and he touched so many people and taught us so much.

@AbbeysDad , the same message to you. I know that you are in pain too, I'm so sorry. I really empathise with the pain of seeing someone you care for deeply when they've reached end stage. @Byron was wise in choosing quality of life over extending it with pain and suffering. My mum made the same choice. I know the grief you're going through now, how it feels to grieve while the loved one is still here, but you know the end is coming soon, and I'm here if you need someone to talk to who understands.

Your contributions to the forum and the hobby have been missed as well, and I hope you'll feel able to re-join us and share your own knowledge and wisdom the way you have before. When you're ready.

I have corresponded some with Byron for some time not on this site. He is one of the few people I have met on fish sites who really knew his stuff. More importantly he was always willing to share his knowledge with others. We are all better off for his contributions here.

When I noticed he was not posting for some time I knew why and this thread only confirmed it. There are not a lot of truly decent human beings around. Byron is for sure one of them.

Do not go gentle into that good night​

Dylan Thomas 1914 – 1953

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Thank you @AbbeysDad for letting us know. Unfortunately this is news I expected but it doesn’t mean it doesn’t hurt.

Byron is the main reason I found passion for my fishkeeping, and his knowledge really influenced my decisions.

As someone else mentioned, a digital thank you card would be amazing if that’s a possibility

Extremely sad news I always remember Byron for his brilliant contributions and postings when I was a mod on here back in 2010 or so

Cancer really sucks :(

I am most sorry for Bryron. When I started with TFF I read lots of posts from him, some which challenged aspects of what I was doing at the time. I wish him the best.

As many of you know, Byron Hoskins has been my friend for many years as we were both moderators on another fish forum years ago. As a matter of fact, when a new company took over that forum and I was expelled without cause, Byron left in protest on my behalf...cementing a lifelong ,albeit long distance, friendship.
Also as most know, Byron has been fighting the good fight against cancer for years. I have just heard from his cousin in the U.K....I'm afraid this report is not good.
Byron was doing an immunotherapy and having some success, but stopped last July as the side effects were unbearable... so he chose quality of life over longevity. After experiencing some cognitive issues, it was determined recently that the cancer had migrated to his brain. He fell recently and broke his hip and the cancer prohibited repair. He is in the hospital and will shortly be transferred to an adjacent hospice facility. The end is near for my dear friend.
I know that so many of the old timers here will continue to miss Byron's words of wisdom on fish keeping and that his journey with us all is nearly over.
He'll never really be gone as long as there are those of us that remember him fondly. Still this is all very sad. 😒
I'm sorry to hear about Byron's trouble, AbbeysDad. I will keep him (and you, his dear friend) in my thoughts. Truly, I will. All the best.

@AbbeysDad Would you be able to contact Byron or a close friend/family member on our behalf? It seems like many of us would like to thank him or leave a short message. If we came up with a document, a digital thank you card, would you have the means to pass it onto him?

This is so sad to hear... I have been thinking about him lately, so it's nice to know what's going on, but painful to hear the news.
He was one of the most helpful members here and had a lot of amazing knowledge to share. He was always so generous with his time, helping others on here and I can't count how many times I have meticulously read through his long thoughtful messages on topics. I loved his in-depth scientific approach on things.
He was an incredible member on this forum, and I'm sure he was also an amazing friend, even though I never got the opportunity to be close with him that way.

My prayers go out to him and his family, and I really hope that he is able to recover even though his health declines.

Most reactions

Back