Hi

I have quite a lot of brown algae in my tank

it is cycled, and has been for a while

the light is 18W and i leave it on for approx 12 hours a day

I have 5 live plants

20 gallon tank

Anyone have any ideas why??

thanks

Actually dont know if it is 18W i'm just presuming becus it says 18W on the bulb but then it says 154 t-8---dont know what this is??

How do i find out??

Brown algea is usually caused by a combination of poor lighting and lack of tank husbandry. To eliminate the algea you need to boost your lighting to at least 1&1/2 watts per gallon and keep up a good water change schedule.

I change water every week at least 10%, mostly more

By the way this is what it says on the bulb:

SYLVANIA STANDARD F18W/156 t-8
DAYLIGHT

Brown algae is actually a different organism, an animal called Diatoms. They don't like light, but that doesn't mean they won't live in lighted tanks either. They tend to bloom about 3 weeks after a tank is finished cycling.

They will disappear after a few weeks, or oto cats love to eat them. A few otos will clear your tank of diatoms in a few days. Just make sure you have the room for the extra fish if you go that route!

:)

aahh i see.. well that would be about right

ive been wiping it off, but it just comes back

dont think ive got room for any more fish tho.. nm

They also feed on silicone which is typically in abundance in fresh tanks (the sealent for the glass is made of it) so they eat that until they're out of loose particles to eat. Red Tailed Black Sharks will also eat them apparently but you'll have more problems adjusting them to a tank than Otos.

CFC said:
Brown algea is usually caused by a combination of poor lighting and lack of tank husbandry. To eliminate the algea you need to boost your lighting to at least 1&1/2 watts per gallon and keep up a good water change schedule.
i thought it was because there was too much light. you turn your light off to starve the algae and it will be gone. :dunno:

Most reactions

Back