Brown Algae...can I Help It Go Away?

About how long does it take for brown algae to go away? My tank has been mature for about 4 months now (I know its not that long of a time. but its still something) and my brown algae has just been getting worse...

Also, do gouramis eat it? Because it seems that my Dwarf/Honey gourami keep nibbling at it!

Anything up to 6 months, the longer the tank has been established, the quicker it is likely to clear up. Otto's are about the only fish that spring to mind that will effectively reduce diatoms.

About how long does it take for brown algae to go away? My tank has been mature for about 4 months now (I know its not that long of a time. but its still something) and my brown algae has just been getting worse...

Also, do gouramis eat it? Because it seems that my Dwarf/Honey gourami keep nibbling at it!

It may just be a coincidence, but my brown algae disappeared when I added more lighting to my tank. I believe I have read others say that low light allows the brown algae to thrive. Don't know if this is the cause of your problem, though.

Well my light is very low for my tank ( I plan to get a good one once my beginning one dies) It is only about .75 watts per gallon...

Well my light is very low for my tank ( I plan to get a good one once my beginning one dies) It is only about .75 watts per gallon...

I think the lighting is the problem...get more wattage and likely you'll see more beneficial (to algae eaters at least) green algae take its place.

I didnt really want to chime in on this topic since I am no expert on the subject and honestly, I have never even delt with this issue before. However, i felt I would let you all know about something I read today in one of my aquaria magazines.

In one of those question and answer segments of the magazines I get every month, there was a question about this 'brown algea'. (It was interesting because I think the reader that sent in the question thought that his super high level of filtration might be the problem...but that is another topic) The magazine's expert had stated that this could very well be 'blue-green' algea. It also went on to state quite clearly that blue-green algea doesnt neccessarily have to be blue or green; it can also be brown or even orange at times.

The jist of the article was that there is no (...or at least very, very few...) fish that will eat this type of algea. So, the possible causes were over feeding, inappropriate lighting (although I am pretty sure that it was too much lighting and not the opposite as some people have suggested), and the use of an under-gravel filter. The reader had stated that he didnt think it possible for the cause to be bad filtration, hence over feeding, because the guy literally had four or five filters running on this tank; enough for a much larger tank to be qualified as 'over filtered'. So the expert had said to reduce feeding amounts and to clean below the under gravel filter every other month or so since detrius could be getting caught under it and become the source for algea food.

Another suggestion from the expert was to install some live plants into the tank. Doing this would create a competition between the plants and the algea for the needed nutrients. He also stated that in almost every case, the plants would win the competition. Of course, this would only be possible if your fish were compatable with the plants and you wanted to have plants. (The suggestion was to use an amazon sword plant because they are easy to keep, and it gets large enough that you may only need the one plant; so it is a good start for people who are unfamiliar with aquatic plants)

Like I said, I really have no clue myself as to what the problem is/are, but I wanted to share what I had read with you to see if it could help a little.

So, the possible causes were over feeding, inappropriate lighting (although I am pretty sure that it was too much lighting and not the opposite as some people have suggested
Following is the article I was thinking about when I said it was a lack of lighting...

Brown Algae

Other Names: Gravel algae, Silica algae
Color: Brown
Appearance: Begins as brown patches on the gravel and/or glass, then rapidly coats most surfaces of the aquarium with a thin, dark brown coating that is easily removed. Unlike blue-green/slime algae, it does not come off in large slimy sheets.
Cause:
Excess silicates & nitrates

Inadequate light

Low oxygen levels

Brown algae is a common occurrence in a newly set up aquarium. It is generally caused by too little light, an excess of silicates, an abundance of nutrients, and too little oxygen. Silicates can build up through tap water that is high in silicic acid, and silicates that leech from some types of substrates.
Cure:
Wipe off surfaces & vaccine gravel well

Use silicate adsorbing resin in the filter

Increase the lighting

Stock a plecostomus or several otocinclus

This type of algae does not adhere strongly to the tank surfaces, and is easily wiped away. Vacuuming the gravel with a siphon will quickly remove coatings from the substrate. Increasing the lighting will inhibit regrowth of brown algae. As a new tank matures brown algae is often eliminated naturally by plants and green algae competing for nutrients.
Some suckermouth catfish will readily eat brown algae, most notably plecostomus and otocinclus. If the problem is due to high silicates in the water, and the brown algae persists, a special silicate absorbing resin can be used in the filter.
Prevention:
Use of RO water

Regular water changes

Regular aquarium cleaning

Good lighting

As with any algae, keeping the tank clean and performing regular water changes is one of the best preventative measures. Unfortunately it is still possible to get algae in spite of regular maintenance, especially in a newly established aquarium. Prompt attention to sudden algae growth will prevent more serious problems.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/maintena.../algaebrown.htm

I'm pretty sure that the reason I had it was a new tank being set up and the high nitrates initially from the fishless cycling. Around 4 weeks later its all but disappeared.

Well my tank has a nitrate reading of 0 even after a week and a couple days. A week and a couple days is usuallly when I do a water change of 30%. I used filter foam to scrub it off for the first time last water change, and it seems to be growing back a lot slower...and less. although I can still see it.

Most reactions

Back