Bronze corydoras reddy gills

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys, more a reassurance than anything else being a new fishkeeper and all. I have 3 bronze Corys and they’re activity levels are all normal and very high! They’re eating very welll and have been really friendly. There giills area seems slightly red but barely visible and seems more natural colouring than anything. Should I be worried? Ammonia levels are next to 0 as well

What sized tank? How many fish?

Do you dechlorinate your water?
It sounds like a chemical burn. What are your exact ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings?

Do a 75% water change

Any chance of a pic?

It’s a 20 gallon tank. There are 4 bronze Corys, 5 Pygmy Cory and 6 Glowlight danio. None of the others have any signs of red. Nitrates is around 10ppm max and nitrites readings were around 1.5ppm at their highest before consecutive 70% water changes today and yesterday

If you have any ammonia in the water at all it can affect a fish's gills. Redness is a possible sign of that. I agree with @JuiceBox52 a large water change would be in order to be safe.

Also I do dechlorinate water yes and condition with slime coat etc

Would it be worth changing feeding habits. I currently feed them tropics flakes and algae wafers once a day

You may want to consider having some floating plants to help deal with any ammonia. Plants like aracharis and water sprite do a good job. As far as Tetra SafeStart plus it is a good additive to jump start for cycling. Read the instructions, I believe it says you can use it with water changes. If so you could add a little to insure you have still enough bacteria

I’ve got some java fern maritimo moss balls in the tank and some amazon sword coming? Is that positive or not

Java ferns are nice plants but slow growing so they do not take up much ammonia, amazon swords are moderate growing so they take up a little more. Moss balls are actually a form of algae and deal with nitrates more. Fast growing floating plants do a much better job of clearing the water of ammonia. I have all 3 plants in my tanks too.

Yeah sure I will tommorow :) send a video is there anything in the videos to look out for

Most reactions

Back