Bristlenose is losing colour!

VickyK1

Reaction score
Please can somebody help me! I'm reasonably new to the game but we have an incredibly big tropical tank of 440L. I have a bristlenose catfish that seems to be losing his colour. When feeding my fish flakes I also drop a couple of algae discs in. Do I need to put more in? Is it nutrition?
IMG_20200816_205403.jpg

:)
Hi, he is looking a bit rough. Is there driftwood in the tank for him to rasp on? Plecos need driftwood to aid their digestion.

If you could copy/paste this template and answer the questions as best you can, I'm sure others will be along to help :) Since we can't see the tank and fish in person, the more info you can give us, the better.

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

@Bub or @essjay this isn't a common pleco... is it? It looks kinda like a common pleco to me... but I'm no good at pleco identification either.

:)
Hi, he is looking a bit rough. Is there driftwood in the tank for him to rasp on? Plecos need driftwood to aid their digestion.

No as last time it sent my tank green! I can certainly get some though, I thought the algae pellets would have provided the nutrients. Is there a way to stop it sending my tank green?

Thanks!
If you could copy/paste this template and answer the questions as best you can, I'm sure others will be along to help :) Since we can't see the tank and fish in person, the more info you can give us, the better.

Tank size: 440L
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp: 26°C
I can't answer the rest because I'm at work lol. I have a water testing kit and the water is fine.

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): still sucking the side of the tank lol and swimming around the bottom.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50L weekly to avoid shock of temperature change (this was advised by the shop)

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: 2 external filters

Tank inhabitants: Lots...

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

Last edited by a moderator:
Never rely on advice from a fish shop, too many people learn the hard way that a lot of the worst advice is given by fish store employees, especially from the big box stores. Always do your own research and never just take their word for it.

Plecos need to have access to driftwood at all times, they rasp at the wood and it has been discovered that it's essential to help their digestion. Wood shouldn't turn your tank green, either something else was responsible for that (and new tanks are prone to algae blooms, which turn the water green) or you got a type of driftwood that releases a lot of tannins, which turn the water a tea brown kind of colour. Tannins are helpful for most fish, just not what everyone wants in their tank. There are a lot of driftwood that don't release much in the way of tannins though, and pre-boiling and soaking the wood before adding it to the tank can remove a lot of the tannins too.

We're going to need those water test results I'm afraid when you get home. Which test kit do you use?

The water changes you're doing aren't going to be large enough, especially not if your stock is "lots", even in a large tank. 50 litres is less than 15% of the water volume. Most of us change 50-70% weekly, even in tanks that aren't heavily stocked.

The shop is right that temperature differences when you do a water change will shock and kill your fish. But the answer to that is to temperature match the water you're replacing to the tank water before adding it back in, not to do tiny ineffective water changes. Not forgetting to use a water conditioner either since most tap water has chlorine and chloramines in it.

We do water changes for several reasons. It removes the nitrates produced when your BB convert fish and food waste from ammonia into nitrites, then into nitrates. Nothing else (with the exception of some complicated sciency stuff or difficult methods) removes nitrates from the water except for water changes. If you do a 50% water change, you remove 50% of the nitrates, and for most tanks, that's enough to keep the levels safe. A more highly stocked tank with fake plants, might need more. If you're only removing less than 15% of the nitrates each time, then your levels are going to keep getting gradually higher over time since you're not removing enough to keep a balance.

We also do water changes to keep the tank water chemistry close to our source water chemistry. As water evaporates, minerals and things are let behind, and become more concentrated in the tank. Changing a decent amount of the water and gravel vac-ing the substrate helps keeps those levels in balance too.

In emergency situations like when an illness breaks out, or the tank gets a whole tub of food spilled into it, large water changes are essential to save your fish, as much as 90-100% daily water changes sometimes. If your tank hasn't had large water changes for a long time and the minerals, pH, GH, nitrates etc have drifted so the tank chemistry is very different from your source water, those large changes will kill your fish. So weekly maintenance is essential.

Ok thank you for all of your help. I will do the water test when I get home.
Do you have any suggestions of where I can get the wood from?
So I need to do a 220L water change every week? I got told originally that it should be 20% every two weeks.
Would you like a list of everything I have in the tank?

So I need to do a 220L water change every week? I got told originally that it should be 20% every two weeks.
Any pet store tht sells fish normally has bog wood For sale or online is always a easy option and as for water changes I do a 10-20 % weekly as I gravel vac and keep decent water Conditions , wouldn’t want to do 50% weekly be just too much hassle for me lol

Any pet store tht sells fish normally has bog wood For sale or online is always a easy option and as for water changes I do a 10-20 % weekly as I gravel vac and keep decent water Conditions , wouldn’t want to do 50% weekly be just too much hassle for me lol

That's what I was thinking, sounds a lot to do weekly haha. When I get the wood, what do I do to presoak it and boil it??

That's what I was thinking, sounds a lot to do weekly haha. When I get the wood, what do I do to presoak it and boil it??
Il be honest I’m not the best person to ask on the wood there will be much more knowledge from other members , when I have bought wood I have automaticity assumed it’s pre treated and just put it in my tank I know it can change your water hardness to make it softer but I find that’s generally a good thing as I keep soft water fish , I’m sure somebody will give you a better answer shortly lol

It could be your light coloured substrate as it might try to blend into it's environment, my female did the same in her first week and her colours have come back slowly, my substrate is light in colour too. I do also suggest wood for it's diet.

Thank you

A stocklist would help, yes. If it's very heavily stocked with messy fish, larger water changes will be more essential. If it's relatively lightly stocked, you might be able to get away with 20-30%, it really depends on your stocking, whether you have live plants, and your water test results. If you do it fortnightly but by the end of week one your nitrates are at 40ppm, then you leave it another week and only do less than a 15% water change, your going to have trouble.

@essjay you're much better at this than I am! Any help please?

Il be honest I’m not the best person to ask on the wood there will be much more knowledge from other members , when I have bought wood I have automaticity assumed it’s pre treated and just put it in my tank I know it can change your water hardness to make it softer but I find that’s generally a good thing as I keep soft water fish , I’m sure somebody will give you a better answer shortly lol

Thank you!

A stocklist would help, yes. If it's very heavily stocked with messy fish, larger water changes will be more essential. If it's relatively lightly stocked, you might be able to get away with 20-30%, it really depends on your stocking, whether you have live plants, and your water test results. If you do it fortnightly but by the end of week one your nitrates are at 40ppm, then you leave it another week and only do less than a 15% water change, your going to have trouble.

@essjay you're much better at this than I am! Any help please?

Thanks for all your help!

Most reactions

Back