Bristle Worms

Toadfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok I found a bristle worms a few nights ago, and tonight I got a better look, it pink and probably anywhere from 2-4". My question is, what kind of trouble will it cause, if any? and if it does will it cause it with mushroom corals and feather dusters (a fellow segmented worm) and certain fish?

Should be fine. Ive had no trouble with mine. :good: They are scavangers, and will not harm fish or inverts.

bristle should cause no trouble at all, they will simply clear up any detritus lying about

They are great scavengers. 2-4" is nothing I pulled out a 4' yes ' that was over a 1/2" wide last night. I almost puked, but the white vinegar really did help get the bristle's out. I think when they get ginormous like that they can be more of a problem, but having a bunch of little ones will help keep that in check.

i cant get a straight answere from any lfs dealer -_- but every one here thinks there great.:)

and i can tell you from experiance i trust this forum much more than ANY lfs. :good: :D
i leave mine in.

Bristleworms are great additions ot the cleanup crew. Getting rid of them is a practical impossibility, if you can see one in your system then you can be sure there are another 100 more unseen deep in the rock.
They are often blamed for killing fish but they are usually found in the morning when th elights go ojn eating dead fish and this only means they dicovered a dead fish during hte night and are doing their job.

As bristleworms grow of course their appetite grows in proportions and its when you get the reports of 5ft-7ft bristleworms eating corals simply because they have vastly larger appetites. Thankfully this is extreemly rare and you really have no need for concern.

I wish it was more rare. I had dreams about that damm thing and my finger still hurts. It's embarrassing to tell your co workers you were stung by a worm and that's why your finger keeps bleeding when you type.

That thing was so freakin gross. I have never seen one that size before in my life, I really never believed they existed, I don't think I will sleep for a week.

I don't think it would kill a fish on purpose, but if it rubbed up against one of my sleeping seahorses, the sting from the bristles might be enough to cause death, or to open the door for bacterial infections. I have a ton of small ones, and only noticed this guy because I was rearranging the rock. Never seen anything like it before ever. Must have been with me for some time.

I wish it was more rare. I had dreams about that damm thing and my finger still hurts. It's embarrassing to tell your co workers you were stung by a worm and that's why your finger keeps bleeding when you type.

That thing was so freakin gross. I have never seen one that size before in my life, I really never believed they existed, I don't think I will sleep for a week.

I don't think it would kill a fish on purpose, but if it rubbed up against one of my sleeping seahorses, the sting from the bristles might be enough to cause death, or to open the door for bacterial infections. I have a ton of small ones, and only noticed this guy because I was rearranging the rock. Never seen anything like it before ever. Must have been with me for some time.

tell me you got a picture... 4ft ! what size tank was that 'hiding' in?

Most reactions

Back