Brichardi Fry....

Jinkz

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
North Israel...looking into Hezbolala Land
Came home from work tonight all set to embark on a planned rescape and general tidy up only to find a pair of my Brichardi's have been friendlier than usual and dumped around 40 or so fry on me :hyper:

This is all well and good and it's lovely to watch them taking care of them but I'm wondering now if there's anything in particular I need to take into consideration and how many, if any, will probably make it to a size where I can trade them to the LFS.

Other occupants in my 300ltr tank and a further 5 x Brichardis, 2 x Julies, 2 x shellies and a common pleco.

The other fairies will help protect and raise them so should ward off the Julies and the Shellies. They may even give the Plec a try too, but depending on his size they may struggle. I say you stand a good chance of raising them to a good size. :)

The other fairies will help protect and raise them so should ward off the Julies and the Shellies. They may even give the Plec a try too, but depending on his size they may struggle. I say you stand a good chance of raising them to a good size. :)

Nice one :nod:

So far nothing's going near them. Don't know if that's because the parents are frightening the others off or simply because my tank is split with two large rock piles and the parents and fry are in one...everyone else is in the other :lol:

Only downside is that I won't be adding any Cyps for a while now :no:

Congratulations on the fry mate :good:
Time to get chummy with your LFS and start getting some credit and free food etc :good:

Any pics/videos?

Cheers, Sean

Nice surprise to come home to :good:

My local Maidenhead Aquatics will take any of my fry that are approx 3 inch in size or bigger, apparently by that size they know whether they`re going to survive or not. Definitely worth getting in touch with yours and asking for them to trade for credit B-)

Congratulations on the fry mate :good:
Time to get chummy with your LFS and start getting some credit and free food etc :good:

Any pics/videos?

Cheers, Sean

Cheers mate...am well made up :nod: Funny you should ask about pics....just snapped a few now...pretty useless but you can at least see all the wee white dots :lol: They're about 3 - 4mm each fry so I'm guessing no more than a couple of days out the eggs...what you think?

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0400.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

Nice surprise to come home to :good:

My local Maidenhead Aquatics will take any of my fry that are approx 3 inch in size or bigger, apparently by that size they know whether they`re going to survive or not. Definitely worth getting in touch with yours and asking for them to trade for credit B-)

3 inch is a fair size...they not for going out on a limb and taking them when they're a wee bit smaller?

I'll definitely be going round the fish shops in the immediate area but will wait another month or so, see how many look like making it and see what size the shops are willing to take them from me...but yeah, should be worth a good wee bit in credit.

3 inch?

At least the price you get for the fairies should pay for the comps.

That's what I was thinking too :nod:

They're fantastic Jinkz. Love em. Recently sold my Fairies. :(

Mind me asking why you sold them mate? Did you just fancy keeping something else that wasn't compatible?

I've now got 6 Brichardis...started with 7 but one bit the dust early on. No idea why, it just basically keeled over with no outward signs of stress or disease. Nothing else affected then or since so just putting it down to a weak constitution in the wee man ;)

2 of my Bricks are albino....took me a wee bit of time to get used to them as in a 300ltr they look way different than in a wee 20ltr fish shop tank :lol: but they're well settled in now, although they don't move much from their territory....which was in part one of the reasons I wanted to re-scape. Bricks are schooling fish or so I thought and although the parents of the fry will tolerate other Bricks coming and going, most of the time the others stay well away from them and they have done since day one. Always found that a wee bit weird but I guess it works for them...lol

Still dying to get some Cyps...especially as the top of the tank is pretty bare and empty looking and Cyps would just really complete it but no way I'm putting any in now with so many fry around...WWIII will instantly break out for sure :nod:

Most reactions

Back