Breeding Question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I know once corys start spawning the same group-if well cared for-will spawn regularly.  I have had green corys before but never had a breeding group together long enough to get a pattern.  My question is, do they spawn every few days laying a small amount of eggs at a time or more of a bunch of eggs every 2 or so weeks?  I'm speaking about groups of 3-4 corys, not a whole schools.  Is there a way to regulate this or do they just "do their thing"?  I'll be breeding my corys before too long (they are 7 months old atm) and I'd like to be able to know how often to expect eggs once they get the hang of it.  Also, I have  access to soft and hard water.  I've been using soft right now because the hard water tap is tiny and takes forever to fill my buckets.  Would the hard water come in handy when I want to trigger spawning?

They may lay eggs doing both ways like that. Having both hard and soft water may come in handy once eggs start to show.

what exactly do you mean?  I never heard of one being better for hatching or anything.  

It just depends on the group that you have. Each one of my girls will spawn about every 2 weeks. I have found that one spawning will trigger another female, and she will spawn the next day, so sometimes you could have multiple spawning days, but again it just depends on your cories.  With yours being 7 months, you'll probably start off with one female spawning every 2 weeks once she gets the hang of it. In my group, it was the largest female first. :)

I'm not sure about the hard/soft water. I have hard water.

I know this is late, but I'm bored and looking through posts. I started with a group of 6 Leopard Corys and I now have at least 12. Not sure on the exact number as its a larger tank and can't keep track of them. But I have very soft water and they typically spawn about every 2 weeks like greenmumma said.

You're not too late! :)  Thanks for all the advice guys!  :D

Most reactions

Back