Breeding Ilyodon Cortesae "freckled Splitfin"

Congrats on the new youngsters, chrissfishes, your group seems to be dropping very frequently at the mo! Do you find births have a seasonal factor, as in more in winter, or is it pretty regualr all year round?

Well my worst fears of the AWOL second I. xantusi fry came to fruition, disappeared without a trace, dispite keeping the juvenile Ilyodon and Synodontis well fed. The lonesome one in the breeding net has been awfully sectretive all week, but this morning another female gave birth to two fry and now all three all making full use of their security zone. Amazed there were only two, their mum had a huge belly (even saw wriggling yesterday), been expecting to find youngsters for days (been accused of acting like an expectant father watching the tank, I can however testify I have never spawned with fish or ever intend to)!:fun:

Thank you Nobody of the goat! These drops are the first drops for me. I received them back in October - November. I have noticed with all species of fish I have kept it takes a few months after receiving them for them to be comfortable and have fry. I had a feeling these drops would be around the corner. In reality I dont have any experience with them at all. I have yet to see what happens in all seasons.

All females have dropped and it landed me with a nice number of fry. I do believe I have around 10-15.

Im sorry about the missing fry but congrats on the drops! I have found it takes Goodeid mothers a while to drop all those HUGE fry (It really should take a while. I feel sorry for the females). You can find a fry or two in the morning and then by either night or the next morning 5 or more. Good luck!

Chris, I find it is not at all uncommon to watch a female swimming around with a fry that has decided to be a hard case that will not drop easily. She seems to swim around with the same fry hanging on for a day or more before moving on to the next fry in the drop.

Yeah, that's exactly what happened with some of these guys. I felt sorry for the females. I do believe my counting is off. I think I have around 20 or so fry now.

Most reactions

Back