Breeding Amano Shrimps

afroturf

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I know that to breed Cardina japonica during the early stages of life they need to be move from fresh to salt and then back to fresh water.

But to my supprise today i noticed two baby shrimps less than 1cm in my tank! To my knowledge I only have two adult Amanos left, after having around 7 and 4 or so cherrys. I havn't added any new fish or plants to the tank for at least 6 weeks so i can't see that they could have been introduced to the tank from some where else.

Is it a myth that amano young have to be moved form fresh to salt water? I'm 99% certain that they are amano shrimps are there any other shrimps that look very very similar to amanos but can have young in just fresh water?

Some people have claimed that they've been able to breed them in freshwater, though they're been shot down by "experts". I don't know for sure. They're generally bred in brackish water.

There are, but they don't look that similar :).
How big are your amano shrimp?

And how big are the young shrimp?

Amano shrimp larvae cant develop in freshwater, though as dizzied said people do occasionally claim to have bred them so we cant rule it out 100%.

But I'm going to bet the young shrimp are just cherry shrimp, which can breed in freshwater and do so prolifically :good: .

It would be hard to tell if they are so small :).

My adult amanos are just over a inch in length, I don't believe that the babies could be cherries as the last of them passed away 6+ weeks ago, and the two babies are showing signs of the dots on the side of adult amanos + i would expect if they were cherries that they would have started to show some colourat the size they are.

I'll try and get some pics if i can spot them. I doubt i'll be able to get decent quality photos though.

many reports say to breed amano shrimp, brackish water is needed. however, breeding in freshwater hasnt been compleatly ruled out. not trying to sound rude, but are you shure your adults are amanos, and not just what the fish store sold them to you as? my first incling was they are cherry shrimps, as sometimes young cherry shrimplets can not have any reddness till a little older. but i doubt after 6+ weeks, the shrimplets would still be that small.
i picture would help.

Most reactions

Back