botia striata, sidthimunki, histrionica

houndour

Twiglet and Eeyore
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking for loach (snail eating preferably and small).

Can anyone give me any info on the above.

I've been advised that striata can be a bit agressive (and might take my corys eyes out). I was recommended sidthimunki, but this grows to 5 inches according to a website I found.

I love the histrionica (golden zebra loach), anybody have these?

I have both and I can highly recomend them.
dwarf loaches (B.sidthimunki) only grow to 2.5" max not 5"
zebra loaches (B.striata) reach 3" max
I've never had any aggression problems from either species.
Both need to be kept in groups 4 of or more, and they will only
eat small snails like ramshorns, something like malaysian trumpets
and apples would be to big; however they will keep nibbling them
untill they die, then it's a free for all.

if you have the room why not get 2 or 3 of each, they will mix well
and they compliment each other.

BTW I've kept striatas with corys and there were no problems at all.

My tank is only 19 uk gallons (as in sig).

I wouldn't have room for more than 2, unless I cut down on my corys.

I've just phoned my fish shop and they have 1 botia striata at the moment. If hes in good condition should I get him? Then they said they'd order more and I can get another next week?

My tank has finished cycling today :) So I'm very excited about finally being able to get fish.

houndour said:
My tank is only 19 uk gallons (as in sig).

I wouldn't have room for more than 2, unless I cut down on my corys.

I've just phoned my fish shop and they have 1 botia striata at the moment. If hes in good condition should I get him? Then they said they'd order more and I can get another next week?

My tank has finished cycling today :) So I'm very excited about finally being able to get fish.
not everybody chooses to view sigs in posting, so i didn't see that :p

I wouldn't get just 1, wait untill they have more stock and get 4
I'm sure that 4 will not overstreach your stock levels or overload your filter.
Of course if it is in you budget you could always add another or a bigger filter just to be sure.

not everybody chooses to view sigs in posting, so i didn't see that
oops sorry. didn't know :*)

Hmmm thanks. I'll see about the botia. But you're right, I should wait :) I may just get the dwarf gouramis tonight then to start with, then maybe if my water is OK, I can get the botia next week when they're in stock.

If you were referring to my post which said...

>>> tends to hate Corys, will take their eyes out.

... then I suggest you read my post again! I was talking about Botia horae, the Skunk Botia which has a big attitude problem.

Botia sidthimunki is on the IUCN Red List of endangered species. Although quoted as staying very small, they can and do grow to 4-5" possibly more in the wild.

Both the loaches you have mentioned will eat small soft shelled snails to a degree. As mentioned above both should ideally be kept in a group of around four indivduals. IME Botia Striata can have a semi aggressive side especailly around feeding, but are unlikely to harm any other fish. Sadly as LL mentioned Botia sidthimunki is on the endangered list which means they are not as commonly available, and it is hard to find a shop that has them in on a regular basis. However, I think Botia sidthimunki may now be breed like some other loach species using hormones in Asia. IME in captivity Botia sidthimunki will rarely exceed 2-3". Heres some additional information on the two species;

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=34949
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=34950

lateral, no I don't think it was your post.

Just had a look. It was from here:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=86029&hl=

It was just an opinion that the Striata may go for the eyes. However, I'm going to go with the striata.

If you guys all think the minimum is 4, can you help me revise my stocking list?

The current one is:
2 gouramis (1m 1f)
3 male guppies
6 cory
2 botia striata

If I were to get 4 striata, what should I remove.

Thanks

The yoyo loach and the zebra loach both stay small and eat snails. I think the zebra loach is the better snail eater in my opinion.

the sidthimunki is considered the smallest botia in aquaria...both are good fish but my favourite would the striata........

brilliant little character!!!

I got 3 striata in the end. Best fish decision I have ever made...they are GREAT :wub:

How about Botia Angelicus? I beleive it grows to about 4 inches and is a good peaceful fellow... though it should be kept in a group. I also highly recommend yoyos. Great fish!

For more on angelicus, see www.loaches.com.

Most reactions

Back