Bogwood Tannins

mhancock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The water in my larger tank has a browny yellow tint that I guess is due to tannins from the bogwood. The bogwood has been in there about 3 weeks.

Other then boiling the stuff, the only sensible advice I can see is to use activated carbon. I have some in the external filter already though (1,400 l/hr on a 225l tank) which has not stopped it happening, would it be good to put more in or replace the activated carbon that is there?

Alternatively, are there any other ways to make the water crystal clear? Or will it just sort itself out?

Thanks,

Mark

Firstly, boiling it can just make the problem worse as you would be breaking up the bogwood. Secondly, activated carbon is used up within a few hours to a few days (depending on who you listen to) of being added to the filter, so unless you replace it at least twice per week, it is not doing anything more than the sponges or bio-media in your filter (which is why I think it makes more sense to not use carbon unless one is trying to remove something, like medication, from the water).

Activated carbon will remove the colouring from the water, as will normal, maintenance water changes. Do keep in mind that many fish actually benefit from tannins.

Weird how this may seem but to soak my pieces I have put them in the back of my toilet system, everytime you flush new water soaks it. Leave them there for about 2 weeks.

Firstly, boiling it can just make the problem worse as you would be breaking up the bogwood. Secondly, activated carbon is used up within a few hours to a few days (depending on who you listen to) of being added to the filter, so unless you replace it at least twice per week, it is not doing anything more than the sponges or bio-media in your filter (which is why I think it makes more sense to not use carbon unless one is trying to remove something, like medication, from the water).

Activated carbon will remove the colouring from the water, as will normal, maintenance water changes. Do keep in mind that many fish actually benefit from tannins.

Thank you, that's very helpful. I do regular water changes so hopefully it will sort itself out. I had no idea that carbon had such a short life! What's the best combination to put in an external filter for a community tank? I currently have carbon, balls and ceramic, each with a layer of sponge.

Thanks again,

M

Weird how this may seem but to soak my pieces I have put them in the back of my toilet system, everytime you flush new water soaks it. Leave them there for about 2 weeks.

Genius science :good:

I do regular water changes so hopefully it will sort itself out. I had no idea that carbon had such a short life! What's the best combination to put in an external filter for a community tank? I currently have carbon, balls and ceramic, each with a layer of sponge.
It depends on the set-up (as with most things) :) I use ceramic biomedia (usually 2 types) followed by one layer of fine sponge ("polishing sponge") right before the water goes back into the tank.

Carbon is short lived, but not quite that short lived. Basically it has a capacity and once that is hit it can't remove more stuff. So how often it needs to be changed depends upon how hard it is working. If all you are using it for is to remove tannins you can probably get away with changing every week or 10 days. Your eyes will tell you.

Bear in mind that the wood will not leach tanins forever and they will eventually reduce themselves to being unnoticeable.

Mine driftwood still leaches after a year and a half. But I don't mind the water color as it seems more natural. The water is still very clear, just with the tea color to it.

Most reactions

Back