Blue lobster color

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Gix

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Howdy folks,
I have a little australian yabbie (cherax destructor, I believe) that I got recently, and it's doing just fine. Hasn't picked off any of the feeders yet, but I'm sure that'll come soon.

The thing I was wondering about, however, is the yabbie's color. Compared to some of the pics I've seen of members' crayfish, this one seems awfully pale. Right now it is quite young, measuring only about 2.5'', but is there a way to make it a brighter, deeper blue? Diet maybe?

The blue colour does indeed intensify with age, but also fades as the cray is coming up to a moult. When he sheds his shell, the new shell below will be a brighter, fresher colour.

Ensure he's getting plenty of calcium in his diet so he can build a good, strong shell!

I had a crayfish who Died in a Molt, Its not a sensitive topic but he must have gotten entangled in his shell and drown? Im not really sure but it got stuck up around his legs, have you heard of this happening before?

I think the only source of calcium mine is getting (though I only got him on the 24th) has been his molt, which was conveniently in the tank when I bought him.

Are there other good ways to get more calcium into this guy's diet? He eats anything, so I don't imagine it'll be too hard....

And no, I've never heard of a crayfish dying while trying to molt...mine managed it sometime in the pet shop, I imagine.

It's actually quite common for crustaeceans to die during the moult, as it's a time of great stress & vunerability.

The calcium they need to strengthen the shell is absorbed from the water through the gills and not by eating it.

This means that in hard water there is ample available calcium, but in soft water it would need to be supplimented by adding calcium to the water by using coral sand.

Be aware though, that this will change the hardness and pH of the water.

I tested my water, and it looks like the gH is a little under 150 ppm. My test kit ranks this in the "hard" range, but is it hard enough for healthy shell growth? Or should I pick up some crushed coral to push it up a little?
Thanks a lot for your help SirMinion!

Most reactions

Back